Herpes Community
Cold sore (HS1) in nostril... what to do?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Is there anything I can put on a cold sore that has developed IN my nostril? It's inside my right nostril on my septum. I've never had this happen before and it's very uncomfortable!

I'm sure it's a cold sore and not a normal irritation caused by a hair or something. I've been getting cold sores for years, always caused by illness or stress - this one I can attribute to a stress overload. It hurts every time I blow my nose or chew food. Since it developed, I've had sneezing fits all day today. If there's anything I can safely put in my nostril to numb the area or help it heal faster, please let me know.

Thank you.
really nothing otc/topical helps to speed healing that you can use in the delicate nostril area. you also have to be careful of what you put up your nose too.

if it's been there less than 3 days, give your doctor a call and ask them to phone in a prescription for acyclovir for you. you can get a round of 200mg acyclovir ( 30 pills ) for $4 at walmart pharmacies with a prescription. You need to start it as soon as you can though in order for it to help speed healing.
you could dab some topical anesthetic on it. depending where it's at, hold ice on it.  

do you have herpes antivirals on hand to start in the cold sore doses?

grace
Well, since it's a little ways up my nose, I don't think I can put ice on it. I don't have any medication and can't see the doctor as I don't have health insurance at the moment.

Do you know of any OTC medications that would be safe?

I think I'll do that. Thank you so much for your help!