Herpes Community
Cold sores on lips and oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Cold sores on lips and oral sex

So....I (female) have a cold sore on my lip and have had cold sores all my life...and I know not to perform oral sex on a man...but here is my question...

If he kisses me and then performs oral sex on me...can I contract genital herpes??
no.

grace
Thanks....there are so many misconceptions out there...

I know I can pass on the HSV virus if I perform oral sex on a man....and vice versa...ie, if a man performs oral sex on me if he has a cold sore...

But I honestly thought that if he kissed me there is a slight chance that he will contact the virus and hold it in his saliva and hence.....chance of me getting gential (genital) herpes there after..

You are very unlikely to contract hsv1 genitally since you have it orally.  Your own hsv1 infection gives you significant protection against contracting it later on on other body parts. It's still a good idea to err on the side of caution and don't allow anyone with a cold sore to perform oral on you until it's healed - for their protection and for yours ( normal flora in the genital area isn't always so normal when introduced into an open lesion on the mouth ).

grace
Did you end up getting a cold sore down there? Cause I did the same thing I have a cold sore and my boyfriend kissed me then performed oral sex but my cold sore is pretty much a scab now. Any comments in that?
Did you get one
Did you get one