Herpes Expert Forum
Confused

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Confused

I'm confused about a pimple like thing that has shown up on the shaft of my penis. It appeared a few days ago and has receded slightly since then. It had a whitehead just like a pimple that has popped. I have cold sores that I get around my lips and this doesn't seem to be anything like that. There is no scabbing or anything like that. I don't have any pain on the affected area or any pain during urination or any of the other herpes type symptoms. I do have a small rash area just below my belly button that the doctor told me had something to do with staph and the red pimple on my penis looks about like the same. Like I said it doesn't hurt, and I know from experience with the ones on my lips that the herpes or cold sores or whatever are very painful and at least the ones that I get usually scab over. But the thing on my penis shaft hasn't scabbed, there is no pain, itching or really much of anything. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned, should I see the doctor.

Lost..
I'm so sorry that I can't help you with what this might be, but since you posted on a herpes board, I assume that you are concerned about herpes?  This doesn't sound like herpes from your description at all.  You might ask your doctor if they think you could have molluscum contagiosum or just folliculitis?  How many partners have you had intercourse with in your lifetime?

Terri
To add to my previous post, it has been 5 years since I had unprotected sex with a female partner and since then I have been with 1 other person and used protection with her.
I know I keep rambling on, but the 1 other person that I had protected sex with was about a year and half ago.
The folliculitis is what the doctor told me I had just below my bellybutton and he gave me some altabax for that and it hasn't really cleared it, its gotten better but not completely cleared up. As far as sexual partners go, I've maybe 14. The last one was about a year and a half ago and I used protection with her. The one before that was 5 years ago and that was unprotected. I've never had any symptoms in my genital region and like I said, I do get cold sores on my lips and I know they are painful and scab over, but this doesn't seem to be anything like that. I work out in the heat all day and have to wear tight underwear to keep from chaffing, so I don't know if I'm just not allowing my genital region ample time to breathe. Thank you for all your help.
Your welcome.  If your symptoms don't clear up with the antibiotic, go back and get another opinion, but your work/clothing situation suggest that you could have folliculitis.  Best of luck to you.

Terri
Terri,

I hope you check this. I have developed another similar type of reddish bump in my groin area. Its hard to explain exactly where it's at, but its between where my leg and my ball sac come together. It doesn't have a whitehead and there is no pain and I haven't had any cold symptoms. There is no pus or anything like the herpes blisters that I get on my lips, but this its just a red bump that is somewhat raised. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.