Herpes Community
Constant Outbreaks :(

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Constant Outbreaks :(

I have had herpes for about 7 or 8 months now, and since contracting it, I have had almost CONSTANT outbreaks.  I know you must think that I'm exaggerating, but I've had maybe a couple of weeks without an outbreak in that time.  I was prescribed Acyclovir, which did NOTHING for the outbreaks, and made me feel really lousy.  

I've been doing homeopathy (under the care of my homeopathic doctor- an MD), and that has worked the best, but everytime I try a new remedy, it makes the outbreak go away immediately, but I start getting another one only a day or two after it goes away, and the remedy usually won't work on more than one outbreak.  It's costing me a ton of money having to change my remedy every week or two ($50 phone consults, $125 office visits, and $20-$30 for each remedy...)  

I've tried doing nothing for an outbreak, and I gave it 3 weeks and it didn't even get better on its own.  I'm considering trying valtrex, but it's not covered by Kaiser, and is therefore just as expensive as the homeopathy, and since I have constant outbreaks, I can't even begin to do suppressive therapy.

I'm just feeling like I'm at the end of my rope here- I feel like I've tried everything, and I'm just so tired of the sores, not to mention the twice-weekly intense nerve pain in my leg that makes it painful to stand, walk, or move.  

Please, PLEASE tell me if there is anything that I haven't tried.  I was told that it would lessen after the first outbreak, then they said it would get better after the first few months, then after the first 6 months... I'm starting to think it'll never get better... : (

If you have any advice or thoughts, please share!!  Thank you for any help you can give me!!
I have had herpes for 8 years now and when I first contracted it I was in College.  It was constant for about 6 months.  I never took medicine for it and I just delt with it.  Now I get outbreaks maybe once of twice a year.  I also found that throughout the years when I would worry I would be stressed and when I would be stressed I would have more out breaks.  Try to take it easy and relax your mind.  You are not going to die.  This is like having a cold or sinus, do what it takes to get better but don't stress yourself out.  I was stressed in the beginning and it made me sick all the time.  Accept it and move forward.  Also consider that every one's immune system is different don't rely to heavily on someone else's experiences with out breaks.  Every one is different.  Take it from an eight year veteran.
What kind of work up have you been thru so far? Also how were you originally diagnosed as having genital herpes?  Are you male or female?

grace
I am female.  When I had my first outbreak, I had round raw sores right along the edge of my vagina - they did a culture of them, and the HSV 2 test came back positive.  About 2 weeks after the initial outbreak, I started having an outbreak in the top crease between the outer labia, which also looked very different - more like a large crack in my skin that just got wider and wider.  I never had this one cultured - I just explained it to a nurse over the phone and she said it was also herpes.  The second one I explained is the one that I can't seem to control. I still get those round sores from time to time, but they seem to be under control with the homeopathy.  

I've always kind of wondered if the outbreaks I keep getting really are herpes, but I was tested for everything else at the same time - even syphillis (syphilis), and everything came back negative.

So I'm assuming by work up you mean which tests they did, and they did test me for all std's (as far as I know) when I was first diagnosed.  I do also have HPV, which gave me a few warts one time a few years ago (burning them off didn't work, but a homeopathic remedy made them disappear within a week - they've never returned...), but otherwise everything is negative.  

Thank you for your help.
I think you have more than hsv2 going on and you need to return to your provider for further evaluation.  Get tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally as well as in the area of the symptoms that don't seem to want to go away.

grace
do females always know that they are having an outbreak or at times it happens without the symptoms and pain and are so less that they dont know even that an outbreak has happened.