Did HPV cause HSV?
I am so confused. I know they are different viruses but I have had HPV for 4 years and was only yesterday diagnosed with HSV after a breakout occured.
Does this mean that I recently contracted HSV?? Would I have caught HSV from the same person who gave me HPV? I have a good idea of which partner gave me HPV as the long term girlfriend he had previous to me had exactly the same symptoms - CIN3 cells - at around the same time. Or could it have been someone else??
I feel so ashamed and wish I'd never had sex with ANYONE!!!

Also, my GP tells me HSV is transmitted by SKIN TO SKIN contact and that, in this way, kissing is a risk. I have never kissed anyone with a coldsore I could see but does it mean that I now put anyone at risk that I KISS, never mind have sex with!
What about friends I give a quick kiss on the lips when I say hello to? Am I putting them at risk? Can it be passed on by sharing food and drink?
How were you tested for herpes?  

grace
You need to get up to speed on how herpes is transmitted. Visit the American Social Health Association website for accurate information. Just start reading as much as you can.

Over 60% of the population has HSV1. Do you honestly think they are not kissing anybody EVER? Start getting evidence-based information - jumping to conclusions and engaging in magical thinking really isn't the way to go here.
Haha thats a bit rough. I have done the research and yes, it can be transmitted by kissing.
Hi Grace,
I have a long history of suffering from thrush and of course the abnormal paps and HPV as mentioned above.
After 3 days of suffering terrible itching and small ulcers near my vulva, and on the day I noticed a little bit of vaginal bleeding I finally went to my GP, fearing a colposcopy. She did a very brief examinaiton of my vaginal area and said "You have herpes symplex". I was so shocked as I expected that my symptoms were a part of the HPV and recent abnormal papsmear. I never expected it would be something completely different. She did not say whether it was type 1 or 2 and I must admit I knew nothing about herpes before this shocking visit.

My partner and I have been together for just over 3 and a half years and neither of us has had any other sexual partners during this time (that is to say we are monogamous as far as I know and I trust my partner).

Of course this recent diagnosis has made me think very hard about a few things:
I do have a close girlfriend who dates a guy with coldsores. Occassionally I have pashed this girlfriend but I have never seen her with a coldsore and I'm sure her partner is very aware of his condition (I have known him for about 20 years and he has had the condition at least for that long. They have been together for about 5 years but I know she has not always been faithful).
Is it possible that my girlfriend may have asymptomatic HSV1 and that I have contracted it from her from kissing?
If so, why would I have genital sores? I have never had coldsores or any other symptoms like that.

Thank you for your help!!!!!