Herpes Expert Forum
Do I have genital herpes?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Do I have genital herpes?

About three months ago I had unprotected oral sex from a girl, which I regret every time I think about it. After finding out she has multiple partners I got tested 2 days later. Once the results came back I found out that I had HSV 1. My doctor said there's a good chance I had contracted it as a child. However, for 3 months I've been having different nerve pain in my groin, knee, anal area, and penis. I heard that this was prodrome and was a sign that sores will appear. I check for lesions but fail to find any. I thought I had one but I think it was a pimple since it went away three days later and left a mark, which I heard sores don't do. I've also been having back pain, which has gotten a little better. I was also constipated for a while and had a sore throat a few weeks after the sexual encounter. I had my doctor check my rectum area but it seems he didn't find any blisters and he said that I had an enlarged prostate. Is there a chance that I contracted genital herpes and how can tell if I have either oral or genital herpes?
If you tested positive two days after the contact you did NOT acquire HSV 1 from that encounter.  The test looks for antibody, and it takes your body a while to make that antibody, certainly far more than 2 days.  It was good that you got that test then because now you know you didn't get it at that encounter and if you have it already, you will very likely never get infection at a new location on your body.

Whew!

Terri
So it is safe to have relations with another partner in the future without giving them hsv 1? I don't remember the last time I had a cold sore, so is it possible that they may still get infected if I perform oral?