Does herpes cause depression and fatigue?
before i've had the virus i was energetic, active, happy, and talkative. after contracting the virus i feel fatigued and have to sleep for over 10 hours, still i feel exhausted. i also get constant mood swings, feel depressed and inactive. i get fevers,excruciating migraines that never seem to go away and theres times where i feel a wave of nausea. what can i do to be healthy like i used to? i exercise regularly and take vitamins, that doesnt seem to have any affect.
It is quite common for bewly diagnosed people to feel low, this should pass in time,there is a lot of emoyional turmoil attached to Herpes and some tend to give it more power over them than they should,once ypu have come to terms with the condition and accpeted it it is much better to live happily with it rather than trying o fight against it,it's not the end of the world try to see it as only a skin condition that just happens to be contagious from time to time,don't let it take over your life,it shouldn't cause too much trouble it is really more of an annoying inconvenience than anything else,however if you are having a lot of recurrent outbreaks it might be an idea to try Suppressive Therapy to lessen the outbreaks which in turn may help to lift your mood ......
In between outbreaks try to forget about it because the more you stress over it the more outbreaks you're likely to have .......
Also try some relaxation and be kind to yourself nice bubble baths and do things you enjoy .......

Daisy  
If this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks, it's time to see your doctor.  This is not a typical reaction to herpes or a typical side effect of herpes.  Also ask for a consult to a therapist so you can start talking about this and working on your depression.

grace
I just found out a week ago that I had herpes. But I think I have had it for awhile cause of the signs I'm aware of now I'm always tired and want to sleep I can even do house work without getting tired. I can dust and then have to go back to bed cause I'm tired. Its even affecting me getting up every morning for work. How long does this last.
I've had herpes for 4 years now and I can tell you all categorically that it DOES cause feelings of depression, mood swings and extreme tiredness. This has been my experience. The depression and mood swings are nothing to do with feeling low or unhappy because I've got herpes.  These symptoms come just before an OB. Unexplainable low mood and extreme tiredness and I never knew why until the link occurred to me. It's all due to the OB itself. It's part if it and a very difficult part too. Depression is something I've never had but my mood always changes significantly before any other sign of an approach OB. The people who are telling others that these are not symptoms are wrong. They say this because they don't experience it themselves. There are many different variations of herpes and it affects everyone differently. There is simply not enough research on this...but it is fact. Herpes does cause significant mood changes, depression (NOT IN ANY WAY LINKED TO FEELING SAD ABOUT HAVING HERPES...as I'm over it!) and extreme tiredness. FACT.
I believe someone gave it to me on purpose and I know who it is, what should I do?
I get a small herpes outbreak on my lower back every now and then. Normally when I'm stressed. I've had this for over 30 years and I can definitely tell you your mood is affected. Before an outbreak I feel very low and flat. Plus my joints hurt. It feels like very very bad pmt. the mood normally starts to lift as soon as the outbreak occurs. I've got one now and I've felt mentally low all week but today it's lifting coz it's coming out. I just put up with it and once it's out on my back I feel better. Don't know if there's anything docs can do.
I've had herpes of probably 45 years. Before an outbreak I feel like I'm coming down with the flu, my knees ache, I get stuffy and fatigued. I also go into a malaise, get depressed, just feel down. Then I notice what feels like a nick or scratch on the corner of my mouth, generally the next morning I am beginning to develop a coldsore, I then use zovirax which keeps the symptoms in check for the duration. I have both genital and oral herpes, luckily I have had only about two outbreaks of genital in 40 years or so, the oral, usually one or less a year. Sometimes I go for several years without a breakout. One more thing I have noticed when I have a larger outbreak, I feel dirty as well as depressed and tired.. I read once years ago about that odd symptom, but can't find any reference to it anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this ?  
Thank you so much for this post! I have had herpes since 2003...a very long time. I have just recently started having a small breakout before my period. I am linking together the extreme fatigue and depression. It seems to last a week. I am so glad I read your post..at least I know that I am not loosing my mind! I wanted to ask if Valtrex helps with any of these symptoms? My doctor gave to me to take at the very beginning of an outbreak..makes the process quicker but doesn't seem to help with being tired or the depression part. You wrote this a year ago...so you might not see my comment :(
I get my breakout on my right buttock cheek and usually ..before or during my period .. I get weak tired sad.. Nauscious headache .. All stories of a shingles which I also had .. And although my BO.. Is just spot on my
Cheek size of silver dollar it son painful itchy and I can't sit.. My legs hurt and I get a bit itchy internally all over.. But the exhaustion is rediculois .. Like I'm drugged??.. I don't know how I contracted it... But INWILL tell you... It is ******* draining !!! I am on 3 day and thiamine feels like a doozy I take valtrex 2x daily and
Zovirax cream also ... Today it was SOO itchy I wanted to scratch it but I didn't .... It's an immune thing so all this makes sense.. Lots people have it .. And won't ever admit.. Some NEBER tested but it's very common more than you think!!! I been having a breakout now every other month so im startimf my daily valtrex regiam for a while ..
Same symptoms as above original post, only with chills, aches, eyes burning, I even notice I feel as tho I'm getting a sore throat...Flu like symptoms. It is almost like a day or two long anxiety attack, with weeping & hypersensitive to most everything. I have had this since I was 16yrs old & I am 50yr now. If I a tired or overspent symptoms are worse with OB. I do take valtrex.
You are 100% correct.  Before an OB I experience the same fatigue, inability to focus, depression.   It has nothing to do with having the virus itself its the effect of the virus.  Its good to hear that someone else is experiencing the same thing.  However it sounds like not everyone experiences the same side effects
I have been diagnosed with herpes  about a year now ...There are times when I feel extremely tired and sleepy ..and my mood changes drastically as if I am depressed
I'm certainly not depressed about the illness anymore I just want to feel healthy. I have a partner now and I really don't want him to contract it what do I do... valtrex and other medz cause kidney issues
I agree ^ Every time I get a breakout I get tired and depressed and I'm not ruminating about having Herpes.
not correct
Thanks for posting... I have the same experience. Making people feel like there is something wrong with them because they have depression and fatigue at an outbreak sucks.
Chicken and egg - is it body then mind or the other way round? I get herpes on my butt. I've had it since mis-spent youth- 30 years ago. It does seem to be connected with stress and feeling run down, rather than any guilt over ancient sex, in my case. Maybe it is related to depression because I think I might have been diagnosed with that too at around the same time. Sometimes feel the herpes is just waiting for my normal health to give out and then rampage all over! Actually it only occurs for a week, maybe twice a year and is mildly uncomfortable.
Absolutely. I have just had about 4 days of anxiety weepiness low mood aches dry eyes migraine flu symptoms and exhaustion. This morning there's an outbreak. I had been suffering from stress but had started to pick up and feel emotionally better and then this. I'm also at perimenopause plus period due. This is nothing to do with 'having the virus it is what it is and it's been there a long while. It makes you feel crap. End of. And it does seem to increase frequency due to hormonal changes. Thankfully my husband is a support. I dont take meds but am starting to look at lysine and taking care of myself better though am going to see about HRT and possible suppressive meds until I feel more balanced.
In my experience, yes. I have type 2 inside my nose (diagnosed). I've been dealing with this for more than 20 years. At times an outbreak can be seen because it's close enough to the nostrils. When the OB is farther up I end up with bloody mucous, even nose bleeds. OBs never cause pain but very infrequently have resulted in a distinctive tingling feeling (nothing like it from anything else). I have an OB at least once a month, sometimes two, three is even possible. This is all for background.

Before an OB I get exhausted to the point that I can / need / want to sleep the better part of a day and a night. Sometimes I am also lightheaded or feel like I have a flu. The worst of it wears off w/in 24 hours but I generally feel unusually tired for at least three days. The exhaustion might feel to some like depression but, at least in my case, I know it isn't since I also have depression and they're distinctly different.

The hardest part about all this is that it sneaks up on me. It's not until I'm well on the way to feeling wiped out that I realize I'm having an OB. You'd think that given the frequency of the OBs I'd have it down by now but I'm "surprised" every time.

I hope having this info helps anyone who experiences OBs the way I do. From what I've seen this is not the standard experience.