Herpes Community
Does herpes cause depression and fatigue?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

before i've had the virus i was energetic, active, happy, and talkative. after contracting the virus i feel fatigued and have to sleep for over 10 hours, still i feel exhausted. i also get constant mood swings, feel depressed and inactive. i get fevers,excruciating migraines that never seem to go away and theres times where i feel a wave of nausea. what can i do to be healthy like i used to? i exercise regularly and take vitamins, that doesnt seem to have any affect.
It is quite common for bewly diagnosed people to feel low, this should pass in time,there is a lot of emoyional turmoil attached to Herpes and some tend to give it more power over them than they should,once ypu have come to terms with the condition and accpeted it it is much better to live happily with it rather than trying o fight against it,it's not the end of the world try to see it as only a skin condition that just happens to be contagious from time to time,don't let it take over your life,it shouldn't cause too much trouble it is really more of an annoying inconvenience than anything else,however if you are having a lot of recurrent outbreaks it might be an idea to try Suppressive Therapy to lessen the outbreaks which in turn may help to lift your mood ......
In between outbreaks try to forget about it because the more you stress over it the more outbreaks you're likely to have .......
Also try some relaxation and be kind to yourself nice bubble baths and do things you enjoy .......

Daisy  
If this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks, it's time to see your doctor.  This is not a typical reaction to herpes or a typical side effect of herpes.  Also ask for a consult to a therapist so you can start talking about this and working on your depression.

grace
I just found out a week ago that I had herpes. But I think I have had it for awhile cause of the signs I'm aware of now I'm always tired and want to sleep I can even do house work without getting tired. I can dust and then have to go back to bed cause I'm tired. Its even affecting me getting up every morning for work. How long does this last.
I've had herpes for 4 years now and I can tell you all categorically that it DOES cause feelings of depression, mood swings and extreme tiredness. This has been my experience. The depression and mood swings are nothing to do with feeling low or unhappy because I've got herpes.  These symptoms come just before an OB. Unexplainable low mood and extreme tiredness and I never knew why until the link occurred to me. It's all due to the OB itself. It's part if it and a very difficult part too. Depression is something I've never had but my mood always changes significantly before any other sign of an approach OB. The people who are telling others that these are not symptoms are wrong. They say this because they don't experience it themselves. There are many different variations of herpes and it affects everyone differently. There is simply not enough research on this...but it is fact. Herpes does cause significant mood changes, depression (NOT IN ANY WAY LINKED TO FEELING SAD ABOUT HAVING HERPES...as I'm over it!) and extreme tiredness. FACT.