This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.
Hi, I was tested for Herpes Simplex virus and both was detected. The results were "equivocal".
Now, my boyfriend has Cardiomyopathy. His cardiologist says that if he was to get infected with HSV-2, it would complicate his condition. However, the doctor at the Sexual Health Clinic says that HSV-2 shouldn't affect his heart condition at all.
I need confirmation as to which doctor is correct.
I'm at my wits end now as my being with him may just jeopardise his health. Please help me.
has it been 3 months since sex with a partner other than your current partner?
the igm test is what came back as equivocal. the herpes igm test is a greatly flawed test and current CDC guidelines are that it not be drawn on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes. your provider should stop ordering it in general.
have your provider call the lab they use monday to see if the lab has numeric results for your igg results. if they do, ask for them. If they don't, you''ll need both your hsv1 and hsv2 igg tests repeated at a lab that does provide numeric results. since you tested + for both of them, at this point we need to see if you need additional testing to confirm your hsv2 status especially or not.
has your bf been tested yet? You can get his risk for hsv2 down to 1%/year of contracting hsv2 from you if indeed you have it and he doesn't. It's not exactly a valid reason to end a relationship!
It has been almost 12 months since I had sex with my ex. I was celibate during the time we broke up and I took the test.
I have booked into another GP tomorrow and I'm going to request to test specifically for HSV2. I will be sure to ask for numerical results too, thanks! :)
What I don't really understand is, if I'm detected with the IgG test, doesn't that mean I'm positive?
My bf has not been tested yet. How do I get his risk down to only 1%?
The Sexual Health doctor advised me that they could prescribe the same medication used when breakouts occur but that would mean I'd have to pay $200 instead of $30 a month! Also, there is no information that the medication would reduce risk of transmission when I have no symptoms.
I agree that it's a terrible reason to end the relationship but he could die! :(
I really appreciate all the advice you've given, thanks so much!
yes, your positive hsv1 and positive hsv2 igg's do mean you could be infected. knowing the numeric results will help me see if you need further testing to confirm your status.
if you really do have hsv2 and your bf doesn't, if you avoid sex anytime you have anything going on genitally, use condoms and you take daily suppressive therapy, that's how his risk is lowered to 1%/year on average.
not sure about pricing on medications in your country but generic acyclovir 400mg 2x/day for suppressive therapy should be pretty cheap. call your pharmacy and ask about pricing.
honey, hsv2 isn't going to kill your bf. no idea why his provider is telling him otherwise. He is at far more risk from the flu causing him health problems than he is herpes!
I feel better knowing that if I am definitely positive, I still have an alternate solution!
I hope that all these would be enough to set my bf's mind at ease. :(
I'm now mad at the Sexual Health clinic doctor for not offering medication as an alternative for my situation! She simply said that it's not conclusive that medication can suppress the risk of transmission if I have no symptoms at all!
Thank you so much Grace! I will update along the way!
I have requested for a western blot test and it takes 6-8 weeks for the results! That's a 6-8 weeks separation from my bf! :(
I've asked the pathology lab for the numerical results for my test and they said that there isn't such a thing. My GP says there isn't any scores as well. He added that it doesn't matter if the scores are 1.0 or 3.0. It still means that I have HSV2!
I guess I just have to hope that the western blot comes back negative. I just don't know what to do until then. I feel so depressed at the moment.
your GP is a wee bit behind on herpes testing and what the results mean :( There is a decent herpes support group in australia. I'd contact them for help with finding a provider near you who can order testing that returns with quicker results and has numeric results with it. No idea where the WB is sent to in australia to know any more details about the wait time for you.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.