False-negatives?
Hi there,

Is there any way that both the culture and the blood test can both be false-negatives? Not that I want herpes, I just don't believe that what I have are shaving bumps, as my doctor told me. I was tested with the culture 4 days after the bumps appeared which I heard could cause a false-negative, and I read that you have to have herpes for at least 3 months before the anti-bodies show in the blood test.  Is this true? And if it is, doesn't this mean that both test could be false-negatives?
Yes if it's a newly acquired infection both could be negative.  If you are concerned - should you get a return of symptoms see your provider within 24-48 hours of their appearance for a repeat lesion culture. Otherwise you can repeat your igg blood test in 3 or 4 months to see what it shows.

When was the last time you had sex?  Has it been more than 3 or 4 months?

If you have a regular partner have they been tested for herpes?

grace
If the culture has such a high false negative rate isn't it possible that there is a false positive??
A culture depends on having enough virus present to actually grow it out in the lab which is easier said than done. A positive means they actually were able to grow the virus in the lab which is why a false positive would only be a clerical error which is much less likely than a false negative.

grace