Herpes Expert Forum
Genital Herpes? Please Help

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Genital Herpes? Please Help

Worried about genital herpes, I've had so many common symptoms.  Timeline:  

1/16/13 - symptoms start - burning nerve sensation inner thighs, legs, groin, scrotom, buttocks

1/21/13 - streaky open sore shows up on left inner thigh crease where groin meets leg, it was red on the inside with little slits, looked like I had been "scratched". Noticed a similar streak on my right inner thigh crease but it was not an open sore. The sore leaked a small amount of clear fluid.  Still had burning sensation, discomfort in groin, muscle aches in legs/groin, lower back ache, and fatigue.  I went to two doctors, one diagnosed me with "jock itch", the other wasn't sure what it was.  They both agreed it wasn't herpes given the atypical presentation.  I also got two iGg blood tests for herpes taken and igm blood test taken that day.  All tests negative.

1/25/13 - symptoms eased up besides minor burning/tingling at cut area and top of thighs, rash has 3/4 healed over, it now resembles a pink streak.

I have been applying an antifungal cream to the area since 1/21 (9 days ago when i first saw the scratchy looking sore).  It is 3/4 healed and pink.  This is another concern because it makes me think that it follows the typical 10-14 day healing process of herpes.

1)  Do you think this is herpes? I have researched that an atypical herpes lesion could appear as a scratch or fissure.  What does your gut tell you?  If there was another explanation I might be able to wrap my head around it, but I have found nothing. Could a fungal infection actually cause the symptoms?

2)  Could I be one of the 5% who always show up negative on a igg blood test?  If I had acquired it 2+ years ago could my body have not created enough detectable antibodies since it hadn't been "attacked" until recently?

3) Would it have to come from my most recent partner?  I have been faithful the entire 2 years but have had a history of 20 partners, she has had 4. Or could it have been dormant?  
Sorry, I am on a long road trip and only have internet access every couple of days.  

I agree with your doctors that your presentation, location and resolution course all sound exactly like a fungal infection (jock itch).  These fungal infection typically occur exactly where you are describing your symptoms and usually take about 14-21 days to resolve completely, if you are religious about applying the antifungal medicine twice daily.

This sounds absolutely nothing like herpes to me.

Terri
Anyone out there, extremely worried please help
I paid $20 for this, can you please help Terri
Thanks so much for getting back to me Terri I am extremely grateful to have your expertise.  I am a little confused as to why you would say it sounds nothing like herpes.

Based on this New York Times article it sounds eerily similar:  http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/genital-herpes/overview.html

-blister or lesion
-Decreased appetite
-Muscle aches in the lower back, buttocks, thighs, or knees
-Before the blisters appear, the person may feel the skin tingling, burning, itching, or have pain at the site where the blisters will appear (i felt this all over my thighs, buttox, even genital area)
-Fatigue

Can a fungal infection actually cause these nerve tingling symptoms, pressure in groin area, and burning around the cut?  I've also read that some atypical herpes presentations can be linear fissures described like mine.  Sorry to keep bothering you, I've just never experienced these symptoms and it freaks me out.  Could this have been a recurrence and I just didn't realize the first one?

I tested negative on 2 different igg tests and 1 igm test but I am wondering if I am one of the few that doesn't test positive or my body hasn't produced enough antibodies yet since it hadn't been "attacked" or had an outbreak yet.

Any more insight would be most helpful, I know you are busy!
I don't agree with all of the symptoms that the New York Times article lists.  I don't know about you, but I really don't use the New York Times as a source of medical information.

I base my thoughts on thirty years of experience looking at genitals.  Fungal infections normally occur in the area that you describe with the symptoms that you describe.  I think that fungal infections can certainly cause you to feel skin sensations like burning.  

While it is true that a fissure can be confused between herpes and fungal infection, your description about the location and presentation are very important.  It is also good to know that the people you saw don't believe it to be herpes.

I can't make a medical diagnosis over the internet so I can't be certain, of course.  I can only give you an opinion based on your symptoms about what other people with these symptoms might have.  

Yes, there are a few people who don't test positive but are infected but they are rare and I have no reason to believe it is you.  If you do get a specific lesion, I would suggest that you get it swab tested for herpes using a PCR test.

Terri