Herpes Community
Genital Herpes on Lower Leg?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Genital Herpes on Lower Leg?

If a drop of herpes HSV-2 virus from the initial outbreak area lands directly on the side/back of your knee, what are the chances of it actually producing sores or a rash down there? I believe this happened to me today. After a minute or so of it being there, I took a wet, cool cloth and wiped it down gently with soap and then rinsed it off? Did I waste my time? I hope so.
I could put active herpes virus all over your arms and legs and let it sit there for a hour and you wouldn't get herpes.  It's more than just active virus sitting on the skin - it's the heat and friction of the sex act itself that introduces the virus into the delicate genital skin easier than it would on the thicker skin on the rest of the body.

you are worrying about this needlessly!

what testing have you had done for herpes so far?

grace
I should also add that this is my first outbreak.

you are worrying about this needlessly!

grace
I haven't had any testing done yet. I have an appointment at Planned Parenthood tomorrow that I made on Thursday. I noticed the bump the same night I started getting "flu-like" symptoms. I saw a doctor on Friday because I realized I had strep throat and he looked at the bump and thought it looked like herpes. He wrote me a prescription for acyclovir in case Planned Parenthood doesn't write prescriptions. :(

I also don't know what the fluid was that landed on my leg. It felt almost like a drop of semen. That wouldn't have made much sense, although I haven't noticed any fluids coming from the sore either.
far too late now for a lesion culture and typing . It's unfortunate that the provider you saw didn't culture this :(
He wanted to, but I couldn't afford for him to do the lab. I don't have insurance and I barely have money.

Today I tried washing it for the first time and, like an idiot, I used a loufa over it and even with just a really light grazing took the scab off. I honestly didn't think that would happen with such a light touch, even using a loufa. It never really hurt before, but it kinda hurts now and it looks more red and inflamed.

It seems like all I ever do these days is screw things up.
Should I cancel my appointment tomorrow at Planned Parenthood or still have them take a look at it, even though it's too late to test and uglier.
I'd keep the appointment so that they can take a look at things.  
Ok. Thanks. I did take pictures of it for the first 3 days I noticed it. Maybe that could help the doc visually. Do you think the chances of my sore scarring are high now that I appear to have accidentally taken the scar off?
usually herpes lesions don't scar.

in general I don't recommend using a loofa in the genital area.  Is it one of those nylon ones you can toss weekly in the washer too?
I don't know. It might be. Why do you ask?

Why would a wash cloth be better?
you should be cleansing loofa's weekly or they build up bacteria and fungus and cause skin issues!

a wash cloth isn't as rough as well as you can wash it very easily in the washer to kill germs.
So it's possible that the bump that the doctor and nurse that looked at and thought was "suspicious" but atypical was actually caused by the loofa?
it could be many things going on. what did they think when they saw you at PP?
The nurse there said it didn't look like typical herpes, but was suspicious. She wasn't really too helpful. I wish I could just sent you one of my pics so you could take a look at it and see what you thought of it. There was no pain, itching, burning, etc. The best I could describe how it felt was like a pimple.
I don't get paid to do this so I'm not about to look at pictures !!

do you have a regular partner?

No, I don't have a regular partner.
at this point wait until at least 3 months after you last had sex and seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing . should you get a return of symptoms, be seen promptly.
If/when I take the IGG blood test, is it accurate enough to where if it says I am clean that I can trust it?
repeat your testing and go from there. Herpes testing is pretty accurate when done at the proper times.