Herpes Community
Genital herpes type 1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Genital herpes type 1

Hello doctor,
my first sexual partner gave my genital herpes type 1 by givin me oral sex whilst he had a cold sore
I have only had the first initial outbreak and none afterwards and it has been 7 months now. Im unsure about whether I have to tell a new sexual partner because I have never had an outbreak so I assume I am not shreding the virus?
This has been worrying me for quite sometime and has really knocked my confidence.  
Sorry to hear that. If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take you after the exposur for your first break out? Thank You. Sorry to hear that again.
Hey Thanks fr you concern it took about a week.
Thank you so much for your respond. God bless you.
I assume you were diagnosed with a swab/culture?

Yes indeed you need to share this with any potential sexual partner. While HSV1 sheds very little, it can still be transmitted.

I have genital HSV1 as well - the good news is most folks have oral HSV1, so it gives significant protection against getting it at the "other end" so to speak. Both you and your partner should know each other's herpes status, including HSV2, then you can decide what precautions - if any - need to be taken.
Thanks for replying, I was just wondering did you get anymore outbreaks than the initial one?

Daisy
Yes. My primary was a classic very painful herpes OB. About 6 months later, and then a year after that, I had another, but both were extremely mild - just a few small slightly painful itchy sores and I took Valtrex at the start of both and it cleared up very quickly. Statistically (of which I've so far followed), I may have one every other year or so now - perhaps never again.
Is it possible to not get any further outbreaks cause I got it about 7 months ago and haven't had one since is it likely that if I was going to have another ob I wouldhavd done by now?
sorry about all the questions!
about 1/2 of folks with hsv1 genitally never get another recognizable ob. I know folks who have went 10 and 15 years or more in between hsv1 recurrences genitally.

really with hsv1, be more surprised if you do get a recurrence then when you don't. I'm sure you aren't complaining that you aren't getting them regularly right?  ;)

grace
Hi grace haha no I'm definitely not complaining I mean if I don't get reoccurences that means I don't shread right? Cause I spoke to an adviser from the herpes.org and it said only 0.7% of people with HSV 1 shred it at all.
Thanks for everyones replies it's making me feel a lot better
The Herpes Handbook is a great resource for information on genital herpes. It has information on shedding rates under the "Transmission" chapter.

http://www.westoverheights.com/genital_herpes/handbook/view_the_chapters.html

Viral shedding occurs when the virus is active but there are no visible symptoms. So, you'd never know you were contagious at that time. Yes indeed you will shed and not know it. Your statistic is wrong. In healthy adults, genital HSV1 sheds on average about about 3-5% of days annually. That equals anywhere from 10-18 days annually that you will shed the virus.
I was just wondering if there are any statistics on the probability of passing GHSV-1 to someone. Obviously its less than 3-5% of the time since its typically only sheds that frequently. Also, if one was to sleep with someone when he or she is asymptomatically shedding, how likely is it that that person would contract the virus? Like, is it inevitable pretty much? Just curious!! As far as the 3-5% asymptomatic shedding goes, do you know if that was determined during the first year or two after infection, or did that study include individuals that had the virus for a longer period of time, since shedding typically decreases over time? thank you!
There are no stats for transmission of genital HSV1. That being said, most adults already have oral HSV1, which gives them significant protection against getting it elsewhere. And again, the low shedding rate makes it not very likely to be transmitted.

It's not inevitable to transmit herpes; as a matter of fact, even with genital HSV2, the transmission rate is only about 1% annually female to male, if condoms and antivirals are used. Male to female is about 4%. Even with no condoms or antivirals, and no outbreak occurring, the worst case scenario for male to female transmission is 8% annually. All pretty good odds. People can go a lifetime without getting herpes from their partner.

As to the 3-5% shedding stat fluctuating, you'd have to post on the herpes expert's forum and ask Terri Warren.
"It's not inevitable to transmit herpes; as a matter of fact, even with genital HSV2, the transmission rate is only about 1% annually female to male, if condoms and antivirals are used. Male to female is about 4%. Even with no condoms or antivirals, and no outbreak occurring, the worst case scenario for male to female transmission is 8% annually."

Hey, petal, can I ask you where you got these numbers?

I'm curious how many sexual encounters those figures are assuming per year.
It's based on the original Valtrex study. You can poke around the GSK site perhaps; I'm not sure if it's still posted there or not. It's based on 2X a week intercourse. The Herpes Handbook has transmission stats as well.
As of today, I had a confirmed dx of herpes type 1. I had an initial outbreak 3 years ago, this was a horrifying experience for me, and all cultures and blood work reported negative for any test/culture ran. I had another outbreak, very painful although not as horrible as the first; it lasted a week or so, this OB occurred 6 months after the first OB. I had a 3rd and very mild outbreak in may of 2012, and now, February of 2014. The last two outbreaks have been one ulcer, and have been painful although, manageable compared to the initial ob. I strongly encourage individuals to continuously get tested regardless of negative results, and individually prepare for what ever the result may be. I am in recovery from addiction, and acquired this virus during my active addiction, because I chose to not practice safe sex and ask my sexual partners to get tested prior to unprotected sex (including myself). I am beginning the process of finding information about this particular strand of the virus and am eager to hear peoples experiences and management, as well as, medications that have worked for them. Thank you in advance!