Herpes Community
Getting Pregnant and HSV-2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Getting Pregnant and HSV-2

I have HSV-1 in the genital area.  My fiance is very concerned about getting it when we try to conceive a child.   I know that taking once a day valtrex for me will greatly reduce the risk of him getting it.    What if HE takes valtrex as well?   Any other advice on what I can tell him?   I know that no one will say that there's a 100% chance that he won't get it.  But I have not gotten an outbreak since my first one, so this is all very frustrating for me.    Hearing those Valtrex  commercials about 60-70% of people spread it when they don't have symptoms doesn't help either!   Who the heck would ADMIT that they had sex with symptoms anyway!?!?!?!?!    Please help!
Can someone or the doc please respond!??????
I think it would be a waste of money for him to take valtrex if he doesn't have GH. Taking valtrex would keep him from getting it. Try a turkey baster. Many people have done it that way or you can talk to your doctor about other ways he can help you.
sorry! taking valtrex would not keep him from getting GH
Usually HSV-1 is not active and aggressive at all.  Meaning you might never get an outbreak again, and if you do is not that big of a deal.
don't say that having another outbreak is not a big deal. im going on an 11 months straight of outbreaks...and you say no big deal...thats wack!!!!!!!!!
Has your man been tested to know what his hsv status is? If not that's your first step.

Hsv1 genitally is considered the "milder" form of genital herpes. Not milder as in less painful but milder as in less ob's and less shedding. Usually just avoiding sex during obvious symptoms is all it takes to protect a partner. If your partner is hsv1+ too then the risk is too low to worry at all about.  If he's hsv1 negative then discuss barrier protection too and see if either of you feel it's worthwhile or not.  

We have no info to know if daily suppressive therapy is effective for hsv1 genitally. We don't know if it helps at all to reduce transmission of the virus to a partner either.  If you are having frequent recurrences of hsv1 then definitely give it a try to reduce ob's but usually you don't get enough bang for your buck with it to make it worth taking.  We have no evidence at all that your partner taking suppressive therapy protects him either so we don't recommend that.  Even with minimal precautions your partner will always be more likely NOT to contract hsv1 from you than he is to contract it.

grace

h8outbreaks,
I am talking about people infected with HSV1 genitally. And I stick to my statement HSV1 is not big of a deal since human body can fight it with much ease then HSV2.
I have HSV1 orally (I doubt I have it genitally) and I don’t remember when I had my last outbreak.( maybe 15 years ago!!!)
Exactly, HSV 1 is orally when you get cold sores, HSV 2 is in the genital area. HSV1 can be spread to the genital area without you even knowing it, by handling your cold sores without washing your hands and touching yourself in the genital area without getting it from your partner, just a little note.
Was told that by a infectious disease doctor.
no, you can't transmit your own oral herpes infection to the genital area like that. the ID doctor told you wrong :(  

grace