Herpes Community
HSV 1 and 2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1 and 2

I recently received test results from a full panel STD testing and I need help interpreting the results. Also, if these results seem accurate?

1. I was tested in June for HSV and the results simple read:

Herpes I & 2, igG with Reflex - 27.3 H

The test HSV 2 Glycoprotein G Ab, IgG has been reflexed as confirmation of the positive result obtained for Herpes I and II, IgG.

2. The next test was 6 months later at a different clinic and the results read:

HSV 1 IgG - greater than 5
HSV 2 IgG - greater than 5

What does this all mean?? Help! Need Info!
the first test you had done was a non-type specific combined test. if they did any hsv2 testing, you didn't list those results.

your 2nd test was type specific. you are hsv1+. You are also hsv2+.  Your igg results are above the typical false positive cut off rates so really no reason to doubt your results unless you need the peace of mind of further testing.

keep asking questions!

grace
I looked over the paper work and the first test differenciated for HSV 2 at .38. So what is the significance of the number 27.3?

Also, is it odd for both the results in the 2nd test to just read "greater than 5" for both HSV 1 and 2?

I don't know what to think because before and between both the tests I was with the same partner. : [
there really isn't any significance to the combined result of 27.3. it could be reflecting a hsv1 infection, hsv2, both or neither. we really don't recommend the non-type specific testing to be done any more.  

nope, not odd at all for your 2nd results to just say greater than 5. there is no significance to the actual results and reporting them that way lets a provider know that you are over the false positive cut off rate which is the only important info to know ( hope that makes sense, it's early yet for me...lol ).

has your partner been tested yet to know their status?
He has not been tested yet. I know I have had HSV 1 because I used to get cold sores on my lip when I was younger but I have never had genital outbreaks of any kind. I also tested postivie for bacterial vaginosis at the time of the STD screening might that have had any interferrence with the test or anti-bodies in my blood work? I keep reading that the blood test is not very clear or accurate at times.

If my partner returns a negative result for HSV 2 should I get retested?
no, having bv wouldn't affect your blood testing for herpes.

if your partner tests negative for hsv2, then you know you've had it since before you met them.