Herpes Community
HSV 1 genital confusion
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HSV 1 genital confusion

I work in china in a stressful job, which I just started. About two months ago I had a red rash on the end of my penis. It wasn't painful, didn't itch, and had no other symptoms...no sensations or tingling or anything. The dr thought it could be herpes and did a blood test. The test came back with low levels of hsv1 ( below the level to be called positive) he said This was indicative of a past infection, as was the fact that I was displaying mild symptoms now. The confusing part is that to my knowledge I never had herpes before, at least no noticeable outbreaks. I should point out that I haven't had any risky exposures recently....the dr said that basically stress and fatigue and being run down, could have caused an outbreak. He said there was no way of determining how long I have had it for. There were big language issues here, so I have been left feeling very confused....any thoughts would be extremely well received!

What I want to know is this....is it possible to have herpes without knowing about it for so long? Can stress really cause outbreaks? Does having a painless red rash even sound like herpes? Is a visual diagnosis enough?

7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Could this be balantis?
Blank
Any comments at all would help me begin to make sense off this situation
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
odds are this isn't hsv1 genitally at all. most adults will test + for it and most of us have it orally whether we can recall ever having had any obvious cold sores in the past or not.  your symptoms don't really sound herpes related at all either.

most likely this was irritation or even a fungal infection. is it stillt here or did it go away on its own?

grace
Blank
Any ideas?
Blank
Thanks for your reply! It's still there....it kind of comes and goes...I'm taking anti fungal cream currently....I hope that clears it up! Herpes seems so confusing....is the rash able to manifest itself in many different ways? Is there a 'classic' hsv 1 genital rash? Or could anything happen?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
typically recurrences are a single lesion and it certainly won't come and go like this.

apply the antifungal cream 2x/day for a full week and see if that helps. sometimes the antifungal powders are more helpful too if the cream doesn't seem to work.
Blank
Thank you for your reply...it's put my mind at ease
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979