Herpes Community
HSV-1 oral and genital

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV-1 oral and genital

Hello, curious about hsv-1 infection both genitally and orally - which is what I believe i have, despite literature suggesting near to impossible.

I was diagnosed with HSV-1 genitally two years ago. My boyfriend had performed oral sex while having an herpeticginvamatosis. The initial outbreak was servere and a culture was done of the sores, came back HSV-1 positive. Rapid blood test showed no HSV-2 infection. Two or three years prior to this infection, I experienced a very very mild, one tiny sore, oral episode of herpes, the tiniest of spots on my lip which retreated in two days. Recently, despite taking acyclovir for months, I had an oral outbreak again - again very small, quick retreat. I have not experienced any additional gential (genital) outbreaks. From all I have read, I thought it was near to impossible to have HSV-1 infection in both locations, given the oral infection and outbreak happened years before the genital infection. Can anyone advise?
actually you can have hsv1 both orally and genitally. Perhaps what is confusing you is the info that says that once you have it orally, you aren't likely at all to contract it genitally later on?  What info we do have shows that folks who have hsv1 genitally, anywhere from 1/4 - 2/3's of them also contract it orally around or at the same time.

your oral symptoms you are describing though sound like canker sores and not cold sores.  they are completely unrelated and acyclovir doesn't work on canker sores.  

grace
Grace, thank you for the response. I am confident my oral infection is HSV-1. Presents with classic stages: tingles, red, opens, weeps, crusts over, crusts over again, new skin, retreats. The oral sites respond to abreva as well. Out of lip, definitely not a canker sore. As mentioned, my first oral outbreak was two or three years prior to genital infection. I am confident based on symptoms I have oral hsv-1 and know for a fact based on culture of sores I have an hsv-1 genital infection. I'm just curious if my oral outbreaks have been mild, very mild, small sore, quick recovery, could that impact my susceptability to the genital infection? Could I possibly have had less antibodies and therefore when exposed to highly contagious case of herpeticgingivamatosis I was infected? My boyfriend at the time was in the open sore stage. I know the two infections were not acquired at/around/on the same timeframe, so I'm trying to figure out why I am one of the exceptions to the immunity of a prior infection.
I encourage you to pay to post this to Terri Warren our herpes expert here on medhelp.