Herpes Community
HSV 1 transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV 1 transmission

I had unprotected oral sex with a girl on a drunk night in college. I have read that binge drinking, or being drunk reduces your body's immunity. I already have HSV 1 orally, so how likely is it that I can get HSV 1 genitally from getting oral sex while drunk.  Also, what are the chances that if I have a cold sore or I am shedding the virus, I give to my partner through kissing, who then gives it to me genitally when she performs oral sex immediately after kissing me. Is that even possible?
If you already have HSV-1 orally then you are basically immune from getting HSV-1 in another location. You really have nothing to worry about. People who do acquire it genitally usually acquire it orally during the same encounter, which doesn't seem like the case with you. As long as you've had your oral HSV-1 infection for 3-6 months, you're immune to getting it elsewhere.

Generally, people with oral HSV-1 shed the virus 20% of the year. If you were to kiss a girl then she performed oral sex on you, there's no way you can get HSV-1 genitally since you already have an established infection with it orally. The antibodies you've established from having HSV-1 orally prevent you from getting it in another location.
Thanks for your reply, and I understand having HSV 1 orally makes you immune to get in genitally. But my question was, is being drunk going to decrease my immunity and thus make it possible to get HSV 1 on my genitals? I had HSV 1 for 2 years before this encounter.
being drunk has absolutely no bearing at all on this. you are worrying about something you don't have to worry about.  if you were worrying about catching a cold or the flu from your immune system being stressed from over indulging in alcohol well then yes, that is a realistic concern. contracting hsv1 genitally isn't a realistic concern.

if this is isn't a regular partner who's full std status you are aware of and trust, you should only be having protected sexual contact.

grace
I was wondering if it is likely or possible to have an HSV 1 outbreak orally and genitally at the same time. I have it orally but was never diagnosed with it genitally. I know it is unlikely to get it genitally if you have it orally, but I understand that it is still possible. I do have symptoms such as tingling and twitching and last night I got them on my nose and my genitals (underneath my scrotum) all in one night. I have small bumps on my nose but I don't know if thats herpes and I noticed a small bump that looks like a pimple on my butt. I fear that the virus is lurking around in both places (genital and oral), is that possible?
it's your anxiety that is the real issue here.

odds are you would've started to have obvious lesions by now if you had contracted herpes from this. stop worrying!!!
Grace, I know I have a problem with my anxiety and I am trying to get better. but could that single pimple like bump on my but be herpes related? And are muscle spams/twitching/tingles anything related to herpes?
also grace, the encounter I described happened over 3 years ago. Only reason I am still worried was because I got a single small open sore on my scrotum that did not worry me then but 2 weeks later, after reading stuff online thought may be it was herpes. Since then, I worry that I have genital HSV 1and notice every tingles and twitch down there.
sorry, I replied to my self. that was meant for grace

also grace, the encounter I described happened over 3 years ago. Only reason I am still worried was because I got a single small open sore on my scrotum. Did not have any pain, but it seemed wet and itched very little. that did not worry me then but 2 weeks later, after reading stuff online thought may be it was herpes. Since then, I worry that I have genital HSV 1and notice every tingles and twitch down there but I have not gotten anything on my scrotum or penis.
You do NOT have genital HSV-1; it's dang near impossible. Your antibodies from your oral HSV-1 have protected you from getting it in another location. You are bringing on unnecessary anxiety for something you don't even have. I'm going to refer you to a few threads from STD/Herpes experts that will tell you the same thing since you're having difficulty believing grace or myself for whatever reason.

Thread from Herpes expert Terri Warren:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Genital-HSV-1/show/1843133

Thread from STD expert Dr. Handsfield:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Partners-have-different-HSV1-genital--oral-/show/1129351

Thread from Herpes expert Terri Warren:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Spreading-Cold-Sores-or-HSV1/show/1822568