Herpes Expert Forum
HSV 2?? Please advise

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

HSV 2?? Please advise

Good Morning, Terri

In November 2011, I scheduled an apt with my GYN and requested full STD testing. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call informing me that I had tested positive for both HSV 1 and 2. I was devastated. I was aware that I had HSV 1 as I can recall having a couple cold sores as a child ( when I was about 7 or 8. I am now 25 years old). I was hysterical upon receiving the news about HSV 2 and I could not understand how this could be accurate. I'd never had an outbreak and I get tested frequently. I began to research HSV 2 and like so many others, I was shocked to learn that many people are asymptotic. I also learned about the possibility of a low positive with index values btwn 1.1 and 3.5.  I requested I speak with my doctor and be retested. Upon speaking with him, I learned that my Igg number for HSV 1 was something like 5.31 and my HSV 2 was 2.01. I asked to be retested (using the same test). Although he agreed to the retesting , my GYN assured me that I was in fact positive for HSV 2. I continued to hope and pray that he was mistaken.

2 weeks later (Dec 2011) my IGG for HsV 2 came back at 1.5. At this point I wasn't sure what to do.  I figured I'd wait a few months to retest. (HSV 1 levels still high at about 4. 54, I'm well aware of the presence of HSV 1 in my body).

Fast forward to August 2012, my HSV 2 IGG level came back at 1.42. At this point I asked my doc about the Western blot. He responded that it was not necessary, that the WB was needed in past when they did not had type specific tests.  

Here I am, February 2013 and I am still devastated and confused. Should my next step be a WB? Keep in mind I have never had any symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: hsv 2
You most definitely need a western blot.  At 1.5, there is an 85% chance that you don't have HSV 2.  You can either order the test kit directly from the University of Washington or you can become a phone patients of our clinic and we will order the test for you.

I recommend that you get this done now.  The sooner you can get clarity on this issue, the better.  And I sincerely hope that if it is negative, that you have a significant discussion with your doctor about this whole situation.

Terri
Thank you so much for your advice!
You're welcome

Terri
Hi Susie,
I hope everything turned out well for you. At .92 (equivocal) my dr insisted i was positive. Waiting for 2nd test results as we speak...
Hi Sg. I'd forgotten to update my post. I became a phone patient of Terri Warren and had the WB done with her help. She phoned me about two weeks ago and informed me that I am Negative for HSV 2. Praise God! I will keep you in my prayers; I know you'll come out of this! What a roller coaster this has been.
I am SO happy for you! What a relief. You nailed it, it has been an emotional rollar coaster. Have you spoken with your dr? I am still in disbelief about her stating repeatedly that I am positive... at .92! Plus, I have also had coldsores since I was a child, so I KNOW I am HSV1 positive. How long did it take to get results from WB? I have posted a question to Terri, but have not yet heard a response. Thanks for your well wishes, i hope i will be in the same boat, but what a relief for you!
SG it took about 2 weeks for me to get my results. Give Terri  some time, she's usually good about responding on the forum. I believe she responded to me the next day. You WiLL get back good news. Claim it!