Herpes Expert Forum
HSV 2?? Please advise
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

HSV 2?? Please advise

Good Morning, Terri

In November 2011, I scheduled an apt with my GYN and requested full STD testing. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call informing me that I had tested positive for both HSV 1 and 2. I was devastated. I was aware that I had HSV 1 as I can recall having a couple cold sores as a child ( when I was about 7 or 8. I am now 25 years old). I was hysterical upon receiving the news about HSV 2 and I could not understand how this could be accurate. I'd never had an outbreak and I get tested frequently. I began to research HSV 2 and like so many others, I was shocked to learn that many people are asymptotic. I also learned about the possibility of a low positive with index values btwn 1.1 and 3.5.  I requested I speak with my doctor and be retested. Upon speaking with him, I learned that my Igg number for HSV 1 was something like 5.31 and my HSV 2 was 2.01. I asked to be retested (using the same test). Although he agreed to the retesting , my GYN assured me that I was in fact positive for HSV 2. I continued to hope and pray that he was mistaken.

2 weeks later (Dec 2011) my IGG for HsV 2 came back at 1.5. At this point I wasn't sure what to do.  I figured I'd wait a few months to retest. (HSV 1 levels still high at about 4. 54, I'm well aware of the presence of HSV 1 in my body).

Fast forward to August 2012, my HSV 2 IGG level came back at 1.42. At this point I asked my doc about the Western blot. He responded that it was not necessary, that the WB was needed in past when they did not had type specific tests.  

Here I am, February 2013 and I am still devastated and confused. Should my next step be a WB? Keep in mind I have never had any symptoms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: hsv 2
55646_tn?1263664409
You most definitely need a western blot.  At 1.5, there is an 85% chance that you don't have HSV 2.  You can either order the test kit directly from the University of Washington or you can become a phone patients of our clinic and we will order the test for you.

I recommend that you get this done now.  The sooner you can get clarity on this issue, the better.  And I sincerely hope that if it is negative, that you have a significant discussion with your doctor about this whole situation.

Terri
7 Comments
Blank
Thank you so much for your advice!
Blank
55646_tn?1263664409
You're welcome

Terri
Blank
Hi Susie,
I hope everything turned out well for you. At .92 (equivocal) my dr insisted i was positive. Waiting for 2nd test results as we speak...
Blank
Hi Sg. I'd forgotten to update my post. I became a phone patient of Terri Warren and had the WB done with her help. She phoned me about two weeks ago and informed me that I am Negative for HSV 2. Praise God! I will keep you in my prayers; I know you'll come out of this! What a roller coaster this has been.
Blank
I am SO happy for you! What a relief. You nailed it, it has been an emotional rollar coaster. Have you spoken with your dr? I am still in disbelief about her stating repeatedly that I am positive... at .92! Plus, I have also had coldsores since I was a child, so I KNOW I am HSV1 positive. How long did it take to get results from WB? I have posted a question to Terri, but have not yet heard a response. Thanks for your well wishes, i hope i will be in the same boat, but what a relief for you!
Blank
SG it took about 2 weeks for me to get my results. Give Terri  some time, she's usually good about responding on the forum. I believe she responded to me the next day. You WiLL get back good news. Claim it!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
55646_tn?1263664409
Terri Warren, RN, Adult Nurse Pr...Blank
Westover Heights Clinic
Portland, OR
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now