Herpes Community
HSV2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HSV2

I am a man in a monogamous relationship with a woman who has genital HSV2.  She acquired HSV2 six years ago, she takes Valtrex, and last year had only 2 outbreaks during stressful times.  I have oral HSV1 and am inquiring here about the likelihood of acquiring HSV2 orally through performing cunnilingus, as well as my partner acquiring HSV1 genitally (although I have read that this is rare).  I have always been afraid of getting oral HSV2 after reading, hearing, seeing oral HSV2 horror stories.

We have had protected sex for years without issue, and recently began having unprotected sex without issue, avoiding any type of sex during outbreaks.
It sounds like you are keeping yourself safe using protection and with your girlfriend taking her medication. However it is risky when you are having unprotected intercourse because your girlfriend is producing viral shedding even though she is outbreak free. The best option would be to use protection. Although transmission from women to man is low.
your gf is unlikely to contract hsv1 if she doesn't already have it herself. Having hsv2 provides significant protection against contracting hsv1 later on but not vice versa.  Of course never perform oral with an active cold sore present.

can you get hsv2 orally? You can but the risk of such is very low. Your partner being on daily suppressive therapy lowers the risk even more.   Not many folks have hsv2 orally so not sure what "horror stories" you've read. odds are the folks infected and posting such stories, haven't actually been properly diagnosed. it rarely reoccurs and is of less of an issue than hsv1 orally is.

keep asking questions!

grace
Hello Grace you are alot of help with the issue of HSV2. I appreciate every response because you were so thorough about the virus and I don't know how thankful I am to chat with you about this because it has helped me out alot. Grace you are an expert in relating to STDS. I have found you information to be very helpful.

Thanks Grace.
Vance you said something about me not being sure about the individual that had a question about an std that I thought was HSV2 . Vance I'm not telling them about any medication I'm just giving advice you told me to be mindful about my advice I understand your point but this individual was having certain symptoms that pointed to an STD or even HSV2. The symptoms that he mentioned kind of sound like that the best thing to do is get it checked out. I am not trying to mislead any one but read his post one more time and see what you think.
vance doesn't post on this forum.

grace