Herpes Community
Heroes 1 Blood work test negative herpes 2 positive I am confused!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Dated a a woman overt the summer. A week before we had sex she had Std test for and she is disease free. My two orevioys lovers are disease free too. I had STD yeasts done with blood work last week. I got my results tests back. Everything is normal including herpes 1. However, my herpes two test came back positive. I have no symptoms of herpes 2. I am very confused!

Josh
Tags: herpes 1 or herpes 2, Negative herpes 1
Hello Josh,

I too had the exact same test results but my only sexual contact was a brief encounter with a stripper who put her lips on the tip of my penis for about 10 seconds.  I have not been with another woman other than my wife for over 18 years.  I am curious to see what others say about this.
They say they are disease free, but did you see the papers? I'm just saying this because what my experience was the same. My boyfriend still doesn't have symptoms of HSV 2.  I need to take medication daily for outbreaks, so you are lucky to know your test results and not have any symptoms because IT SUCKS having sores now and then. Good luck!
Are you sure you have had the proper testing performed in the past and for these current set of tests. Most people who obtain or say they tested negative for all STDs quite typically have not been correctly tested for HSV and often not at all.

The only credible testing is for IgG antibodies type specific for HSV1 and HSV2. These tests should be taken 12 weeks since last sexual contact in order to be conclusive.

What testing have you had now to indicate HSV2? Be very specific on the kit, type of test and results.
I had blood drawn 16 weeks after my last encounter. The clinic I went to drew blood for herpes 1 and 2. I am going to my primary doctor for a retest.
If you get full details of the clinic test outcomes that is all that is required. If it was 16 weeks post encounter then this will tell you a lot and what sort of retest is required, if any.
I wasn't even delivered the tests I had to call  and get the results. They were done in a few days
Be insistent you want full results, contact them again for values. There are all sorts of issues of low positives, cross reactions etc. that need to be considered when making a blood diagnosis.
Wha does a low positive mean?
Should I get retested?
There is no particular need to be retested if you obtain the full results from the tests you have had. They most probably will tell you what's going on. More importantly, they will tell you what testing is appropriate for you to have next.
Picked up my test results . For HSV 2, I tested at a 0.98 . To be negative it must be 0.90
That is technically an equivocal result. At 16 weeks post possible exposure, with no symptoms aligned to herpes, the overwhelming majority of people in this situation are negative.

You have a couple of choices. You could wait a period of time (4 weeks plus)and retest with the same commercial test. There'd be a good chance you'd test negative. Even a similar level would be strongly suggestive of a negative.

Alternatively you could have a confirmatory test of the Westernblot that would be definitive. You could have this test now.
Update: I went to my primary care doctor. He explained my. 0.98 was equivocal and need a retest . He said my exposure was prior to my 17 week waiting period. I had sex the 24 of June and tested  23 of October . That would put my exposure on sept 30 from an ex girlfriend . So besides the retest what now?
Every partner is a potential source of HSV2. You should wait about 16 weeks from your last sexual episode to be comfortable that a negative result is truly negative. In your circumstance testing between now and then might give you an indication.
After rereading my list , I didn't make my time line clear

Sept. 2012 I had sex with my now ex girlfriend. No issues or symptoms

October thru June 23 no sex

June 24 2013  Sex with a woman I was dating

October 23 2013: I get tested. At this point no sex with anyone qnd I have no signs or symptoms. I  get back the results of a .98. No symptoms.
Thanks for the clarification, that does make the timeline very clear.

This is very probably a negative based in the time from the partner of most concern. There is a good chance you will have a negative reading on a commercial test soon.

Or you can proceed right now to Westernblot to end any speculation or indue waiting.

Good  news. I had an ER doctor tell me I am negative ! I went in for a UTI and asked him to review my results. He said I am lie pisitive and asked if I had symptoms and I replied no and he said I was negative!