Herpes Community
HerpSelect

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

HerpSelect

How accurate is an HSV-1 test with HerpSelect at 88 days (just short of 13 weeks)?

I read some things online saying that they are only 80 or 70 percent accurate, but those articles are from 2003 and 2007. Are these outdated?

Tags: HSV-1, test
bump
I don't know of the exact figures, but almost everyone seroconverts by 16 weeks. At that point, the test for HSV-1 is about 91% accurate, HSV-2 more like 97 - 98%.
I was tested at 13 weeks (or rather 88 days) does it make any sense to re-test.
Not unless you've taken any antivirals or if you've had symptoms that are consistent with HSV-1. Are you worried about a potential oral or genital infection?
I was with a woman who later told me she was "just getting over a cold sore".

I was tested at 3, 6, 9 and 13 weeks. All negative.

As far as I can tell I have not had an outbreak, I had something I thought was. But my doctor said he thought it was impetigo.

It was a bump, flesh colored, in my mustache area. It was there for five days, and didn't itch, i picked at at after five days in the middle of the night. And about five hours later I woke up and there was a yellowish scab. It was perfectly round and one scab. I went to the doctor about 4 hours after I woke up and saw the scab. The dermatologist said, because of the location it could be cold sore but because it didn't itch, or hurt and it was based in one location, was not red and was a single bump around a hair follicle that he thought it was impetigo. He said it did look "herpetic" to him aside from the lcoation.

The next morning the yellow as gone and it looked like a normal red scab. Two days later the scab was gone and it was just a dry area of flakey skin. That lasted about two more days.

I have had nothing else that looks like symptoms.

Sorry, the red scab was gone after three days not two.
Sorry....again.

he said "did not look herpetic" to him aside from the location.
I should note that the encounter was on Dec. 16th and 17th. My bump developed on Feb. 3rd.
really no reason for more testing at this point.

should symptoms reoccur, be seen promptly. if they suspect herpes as a cause, a lesion culture and typing is more helpful.

grace
do the symptoms sound like herpes?
is there any reason to think I might be one of the abnormal people that take extra long to seroconvert?
we discussed this whole situation when you last posted about it.  not sure why you can't let go the idea of herpes?
Can I try to summarize that you can tell me if this is right?

1. I tested at the correct length of time and testing again for an antibody test is unlikely to produce a different result.

2. The test I had is 90% accurate for determining at this point and that's about as good as it's gonna get testing wise.

3. The symptoms I had do not seem like a oral herpes outbreak.

I should stop testing and worrying and go back to the dermatologist again if something else happens. Is that accurate?
you are right grace thank you. I got really nervous this week, my daugther is young and she wanted to gave me a big kiss and I then got nervous I was giving her something.

I have a 3 years old.
I have oral herpes and have never hesitated to kiss my kids!! really, you aren't a walking biohazard!!  showing affection to your child is far more important than the low risk of transmitting herpes to them once they are no longer an infant.
So....

Stop worrying about it!!!

My symptoms don't lead to thinking the test results are wrong?

And even if they were I can kiss my daughter?
you can and should!! when you have anything going on in your facial area, just do air kisses , hugs or smooches on the top of her hair :)
can and should stop worrying about it, I just want to make sure my symptoms don't seem like I should worry anymore.

or

can and should kiss my kiddo?

Grace my last question please

Do my symptoms sound like oral herpes to you.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers