Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes, or something else

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes, or something else

I thought I acquired HPV/HSV sores/spots or something else. I waited time for them to heal, they weren't...so I went to a local Planned Parenthood, the professional there couldn't say what they were, concluded to tell me they were nothing. No testing.. come back if it gets worse. About 4 days later, still not fully healed so I went to my regular Doctor who said one looked like a wart and applied a brown liquid which burnt me. Ouch... I went home thinking he was right BUT I end up after a long fingering session involving four of my fingers, little red dots on the back of all of those fingers. I was like, Whaa? It happened around 48 hours after, and then I let them go, they seemed to be tiny blisters and were irritating in the morning. More so on my hand than on my penis which was just slightly irritating in comparison. The finger sores took nearly a full two weeks to heal.
  I then proceeded to think my initial sores on my penis were HSV and I had also got HSV on my fingers. The area beneath my penis still has little lumps or scars, not like they were initially. I'm not sure if that's scarring or what that is, I might consider it could be HPV too. I figure I'll get to that road when I get there. But as for the HSV, I am real confused. I am getting the impression I may not be able to get any closure here and I am uncertain of my next step.
If I heal up mostly and get another OB, or a few. Should I order Western blot, are the other Herpes Tests conclusive enough to trust? Been thinking about using a local on-line order a lab test...tired of the Doctors here! I really am on a bit of a budget. As for genital warts, not sure if I got both...or I just have scars down there from the herpes...or just irritation. I have done a lot of web research. I am really uncertain what I have going on. I have always had Oral HSV1 and usually I am fairly objective about this stuff and down to earth. All activity has been oral/mutual masturbation/no penetration of any kind.

I agree that your symptoms are concerning.  However, I think it is a positive thing that professional who saw this didn't worry that it was herpes, don't you?  Most people don't describe HPV as "healing". Normally, they would say that it goes away.  Healing implies to me disruption of skin.  I am concerned that what happened on your fingers "blistered".  However, if you've not had intercourse, this definitely reduces the chance that this is herpes.

Since you already have oral HSV 1, it is very unlikely that you would get new HSV 1 infection on your hands.  

I would agree that if you get anything like this again, either on your fingers or genitals, you should have it swab tested right away, preferably with PCR, not culture.  

Terri
Extremely tiny red sores pop up here or there, totally 1/50th of the former irritation.. I just got a Negative on an Eliza Bloodtest(near to 7-8 Weeks after symptoms for type-2 not 1OHSV which I have already). Fingers skin feel real weak... I also confronted my partner about their previous activity and I have a feeling they may have vaginal/throat herpes giving me an added risk with just oral contact. Plus a recent exposure... The way this is acting and the information I've gathered sounds a lot like herpes type 1 or 2... in the genital and digits... I have pictures of the break out on my hand if they would help give a ballpark on eliminating some other skin conditions I hear though that professionals don't really look at them.. I have been told to go PCR or Swab if I get a 2nd break out and that I should get one.. Sort of concerned if this thing sits latent on me for long time and I miss it... Your clinic offers swabs that are done at home, is this a wise route? Or should I seek a local specialist. I swear to god I am not a Hypochondriac as often as you hear that. : ) Thanks
The thing about doing swabs at home is that  you can get the lesion when it first appears, which is often when there is the most virus present.  You can ask your health care provider if they can do that with you.

However, yesterday I tried to help a patient who lives a long ways from our clinic do this through his local doc in LA.  My conversation with this doctor was one of the most frustrating things I have ever had/tried to do.  His level of misinformation about genital herpes stunned me to the core.  After a 15 minute conversation with him explaining what we were trying to do here and why, he told me if I wanted to work with his patient on this, go ahead, he would never do such a thing!  He didn't understand anything about viral shedding, had never heard of such a thing, thought I was a total nut job.  AAAAARGH.  But honestly, it was probably a good reality check for me about what people go through with their health care providers who are not knowledgeable about genital herpes.  On the other hand, it makes me really sad that after all these years, health care providers know so little about herpes.  

Terri