Herpes Community
Herpes Reinfection or something else?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes Reinfection or something else?

I am a 25 yrs old male. After more than 3 yrs of possible exposure encounter,  I was tested for HSV 1 and HSV 2 along with other STD panels about 6 months ago. Everything was negative except HSV 1. I don't remember having cold sores in my life, so not sure what is the site of HSV 1 infection since I don't have noticeable outbreaks. Three weeks ago, I receieved oral sex from my girlfriend of 2 yrs. She was also tested positive for HSV 1 but no HSV 2. Two days ago, I was rubbing my penis against her very hard without lubrication for about 5 mins. A few hours later, my penis became very itchy. I pulled my foreskin back and saw some red spots on the forskin and back of the glan on the same side I was rubbing. There was also some white/yellowish chesee like stuff inside the foreskin. Today, the itchiness has subsided after cleaning, but upon close inspection, I saw some small (<1 mm) open ulcers. I used a Q-tip to tocuh them, they don't hurt but a little itchy. No pain when urinating either. I am going to a clinic tomorrow to get checked out.

So my questions are: 1. Can I get HSV1 genetial if I am already tested positive for HSV1 antibodies? 2. Is it genetial HSV 1? 3. If not, what is it? Could it be friction burn?

Thanks for the help!
Herpes symptoms won't appear hours later; at the earliest 2 days. Indeed, having oral HSV1 protects you from getting it elsewhere. No reason to think this is herpes, logic says that rubbing your penis unlubed harshly will cause some issues! Use lube!!
Thanks for the reply.

But could I have gotten the infection 3 weeks ago with unprotected oral sex? I have read somewhere that I still have a chance to get HSV 1 somewhere else on my body even though if I have the antibodies for it. Is that true?

The ulcers seems to be healing and with very little itching. Can this be a mild case of genetial HSV 1 if above is true?
I just don't want to pass it back to my girlfriend. I am really worried.
this doesn't sound like herpes. sounds like you either irritated the skin with the outer course or you even have an infection under the foreskin.  Retract your foreskin daily and clean it with soap and water. If you still have symptoms by monday, see your provider.

odds are your hsv1 is oral, just like your partners is. Most folks who have hsv1 orally, don't get obvious cold sores to know it. It's incredibly common and since you and your partner both have hsv1, it's pretty much a non-issue for the two of you.

also you tried to post on someone's post on the experts forum that wasn't yours. it will be removed.

grace
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I posted on someone's post because I was very worried.

What are the chances that I got genetial HSV 1 from the unprotected oral sex 3-4 weeks ago? What are auto-inoculation? I might have rubbed my eyes after washing my genetial areas in the shower.

Should we limit all unprotected intercourse? I don't want to "ping-pong" the virus back to my girlfriends genetial area. This is my greatest concern for the future!!!

My symptoms have gone down other than some itching and tiny red spots. Can the itching, red spots and tiny lesions be symptoms of mild genetial herpes? Otherwise, what can it be?

Thanks again!
you won't ping pong the infection back and forth.

your symptoms don't sound like herpes. no reason to think that they are and worry about it.
Thanks Grace for the info. Most symptoms has subsided (4-5 days after initial symptoms). It a little sore but I don't know if I am just thinking about too much.

Either way, I have read that I can still transmit genetail HSV1 to my girlfriend even though she has oral HSV1 for a long time. Is that true? And how often does that happen?

Thanks again.
if you would have hsv1 genitally and your partner has hsv1 orally, it's incredibly unlikely that she'd contract hsv1 genitally from you. Always err on the side of caution and avoid sex anytime you have anything going on genitally.
Still trying to figure out if my positive blood test is for oral or genital since I didn't have symptoms till now in my penis. And I don't know if they symptoms were indeed herpes. I have taken pictures and want to show it to my doctor but don't know if that will help with diagnosis.

Really don't know what to do with recent symptoms. I will definitely see a doctor if the symptoms come back again. I hope not!

Thanks agin for your replies.
you already had hsv1 prior to these recent symptoms. you don't need to worry about this being genital hsv1.
The rash seems on foreskin and back of the glan seem to be healing with some little red dots. But when I woke up this morning, I felt dehydrated and pain in the pulvic region and the lower abdominal pain. Can this be herpes even though I am HSV 1 positive before this? I don't know what to do since I don't think they can take a swab from the rash.

Or can this be yeast/bacterial infection? If so, can the rash heal on their own like it did?
You have no reason, as Grace stated, to think your genital symptoms are HSV1.

Read Dr. Handsfield's post here, about 2 paragraphs in, specifically in regard to HSV1 transmission:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Risk-of-Herpetic-Whitlow-/show/1592783

Abdominal pain and dehydration are not herpes symptoms, to clarify.

You could try an OTC antifungal, or be seen by your medical provider to test for bacteria and yeast.