Herpes Community
Herpes? Sebaceous cyst?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes? Sebaceous cyst?

A little over a year ago, I developed a fairly large bump on my outer vulva. It was red but only hurt to the touch. Obviously, I should have gone to my doctor immediately, but embarrassed and in denial, I didn't do anything. The bump lasted for about a month and a half then disappeared.

Nothing happened for 7 months, however I was convinced I had genital herpes. Finally I decided to get tested for everything (all blood tests), and I was positive for HSV 1. However, the nurse told me that they do not really consider HSV 1 as a STD because most of the population has it, since it is fever blisters. I told her that I never had any fever blisters, and she said many people have the virus and show no symptoms. Therefore, I assumed I didn't have genital herpes, but that I did have oral herpes, despite never having an outbreak.

After this, I shaved my genital area and noticed a raised area where my previous bump had been. Almost like a scar? However, my original bump never blistered or formed a scab.

In the past month, I decided to go to my gynecologist and be completely honest with my history, in part because I thought I had another outbreak. The "scar" that I had seemed to become fuller and become a more noticeable bump.  I told her about the bump that I had had, and that I tested positive for HSV 1 (I had discovered you could have genital HSV 1). I described all my symptoms and she said that she was skeptical that it was herpes. She made me get tested for everything again (blood) and swabbed my bump. The results of the test said that I was negative for everything, even HSV 1. The doctor said that maybe the bump was a sebaceous cyst, which can form anywhere there is hair.

However, what concerns me is that I still have a bump. It has never been as large as it was a year ago, but it's still there. Whenever I mess with it, it becomes red and irritated and noticeably larger. If it is herpes, shouldn't it disappear? What should I do from here to figure out exactly what my problem is?
I wanted to specify a few things.

The original bump appeared about 2 weeks after having oral sex with someone (1 night stand). He had no obvious blisters. (2/13/08)

During the 7 month period after my bump disappeared: I was convinced I had herpes and dealt with the problem basically by ignoring it. I did not have any sexual relations with anyone during this period. For me, the bump had disappeared, but it could have just reduced in size to where it was unnoticeable.

11/25/08- Got the full STD blood tests. Positive for HVS 1. Shaved genitals shortly after, noticed scar/bump. Until my next check up, this scar/bump remains, and is not at all painful.

04/15/09- Go to gynecologist, full STD blood tests, swab the enlarged scar/bump. Negative for everything.
Quite honestly I think that the one night stand is inconsequential. The chance of you getting genital HSV-1 from that is very minimal. To put it in perspective, it took me 5 years to get genital HSV-1 from my partner via oral sex (he has oral HSV-1) - and we had oral sex often (at least once a week, usually more) over those 5 years.

Statistically your chances are much better at having oral herpes, along with 70% of the adult population.

Next, a chronic bump/scar that grows is not a herpes symptom. A classic herpes lesion is a fluid filled blister, usually several, sometimes pimple-like, that also tend to be painful. They crust and heal.

Either follow up with your GYN or see a dermatologist.