Herpes Community
Herpes Test results
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Herpes Test results

I was recently tested for HSV 1 and HSV 2, as a part of a broad panel of STD testing.  I was negative for HSV1 and positive 1.2 for HSV2 (using the ig ELISA test for this type specific analysis.  Should I get a biokit test to confirm the positive results and what are the specific data on false positives for the original tests I took?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
why did you get tested?

how long prior to being tested had you last had sex?

grace
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
why did you get tested?

how long prior to being tested had you last had sex?

grace
Blank
I had never specifically been tested before for STD, other than HIV testing for a life insurance review.  I am completely asymptomatic.  During a stressful period in the last two weeks, I had a one night stand, and I had protected sex, but outside my relationship. I felt guilty and I wanted to make sure I wasn't infected.  I have not had sex with my partner since the incident and I want to make certain I did not have a false positive before I proceed.  I want to tell her, but I want to make sure I have all the facts (as best I can) before I explain the situation.  It seems I should get a biokit test or some other confirmatory test before I explain.  Is this correct?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
you need to wait 3 months after you last had sex with this other partner to repeat your hsv2 igg to see what it is. If it's still under 5 and you haven't had any symptoms then you'll need further confirmatory testing done to see what your status really is.  

Blank
Thank you, Grace.  I have found this forum and your responsiveness amazing.  Would it be helpful to have the WB or some other test performed at this juncture?  Given what I've read, a negative HSV1 and low positive HSV2 test is pretty inconclusive.  I realize that I made a mistake and I feel extremely guilty about it.  Should I ask my partner to be tested?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
you need to wait 4 months after the encounter to get the WB. no test you get at this point is going to give you accurate answers as to your status.  

Blank
Again, thank you.  I'll wait to get another test.  When I do, which is the most sensitive test?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
Wb is the better test to get but you have to wait longer. at this point I'd repeat the testing you had done at the 4 month mark and go from there.
Blank
Good, I'll wait.  Can you let me know where I would order the biokit or the WB test?  I live in NYC, so I'm sure the access is not bad to either test.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...