Herpes Community
Herpes Type 2 igg test result interpretation requested

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My Obgyn ran std tests including herpes. I've had no symptoms and she even said she's not sure why she ran the herpes test because it's not a part of standard std testing. Only test that came back positive was the herpes type 2  igg test at a 1.33 value. The lab stated in the report that it was a previous exposure. Igm was negative. They are telling me that a previous exposure means I contracted it about 6 to 12 months ago. Anything less than 6 months would have shown a positive igm test.

The following are my questions:
1) I've read that anything less than 3.5 for igg is most likely a false positive. So should I get retested? They r telling me no chance that it's a false positive. I've been faithful to same person for 16 years. After our breakup was with one other person 3 months ago, who told me he had no stds. I would have thought my risk was low.
2)  what does previous exposure mean from the lab and is their interpretation of when I contracted the virus accurate? They r telling me it wasn't from the relationship I had 3 months ago, so would have been from the person I was with for 16 years. Is that an accurate conclusion?
3) if I've never had symptoms is it safe to assume that the virus is dormant so can't be transmitted to someone else or that I don't have it at all?

Please help!
yes indeed you should get retested!!  Encourage your provider to update their herpes testing info because they telling you there is no chance it's a false positive is actually malpractice at this point!!

there is absolutely no way to know from a + blood test how long you've been infected. the herpes igm test is a poor test that we currently don't recommend - it has a high false positive rate and a decent false negative rate too.  

grace
Thx for the response! I will get a WB or biokit test. Can you explain why for igg test they classified it as a previous or past exposure? What does that even mean?
I'd wait another month and seek out either. You have to wait at least 4 months post encounter for both the biokit and the WB to be accurate for confirming status.  

has your regular partner ever been tested for herpes?

igg testing for herpes shows that you've been infected with herpes and created igg antibodies in response to being infected.  You can test + for herpes igg antibodies in as little as 2 weeks after being infected which is why saying you have had it for at least 6 months is inaccurate too based on a + igg result.  
My regular partner has not been tested for herpes, but now he will. He's never had any breakouts or lesions either. The partner from 3 months ago says he gets STD testing with his physical every year and last time he was tested was last June and everything was negative. But then he said he has to talk to his doctor and look at the test results to determine if in fact herpes testing was one of the tests that was performed.  

Does the level of a + igg increase as time passes?
it won't keep getting higher and higher over time if that is what you are thinking. For instance I had hsv2 igg blood testing done 20 years into being infected. My results were in the 3 range.