Herpes Community
Herpes and Valtrex
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Herpes and Valtrex

I was diagnosed with Herpes 33 years ago and have been using  1000 mg Valacyclovir a day for the past 4 years and have been free of outbreaks until a few weeks ago when I lost my job and became quite stressed.

I was able to take one extra tablet of 500 mg which stopped the outbreak from turning into blisters, but I am concerned if this medication is not working for me anymore.

I also wonder if Valacyclovir is the same as Valtrex or if Valtrex is stronger?

I appreciate your help.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
you will have ob's even while on suppressive therapy. it's just been pure luck that you haven't had any in the last 4 years actually!!!!

valacyclovir and valtrex are the exact same medication.

grace
Blank

Thank you so much. I'm so shocked to realize how lucky I've been. Wow, I hope it continues and it's similar for others.

Much appreciation, Grace, for your expertise.

Cheers!
Blank

Hi again,

Good also to learn Valtrex and Valacyclovir are the same, thank  you. Grace, I was just reading up on it and it said to not take with alcohol, or at least to reduce my alcohol.

I was in a bit of a funk when I was recently laid of my job and I did some excess drinking for a couple weeks. I am certain now that could have attributed to my outbreak, but I am curious how alcohol consumption does reduce the effects of not only Valtrex but of anti-depressants too.

Does alcohol affect your immune system and make you more vulnerable?

Thanks again for your help.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
if alcohol was an issue with herpes antivirals, I would not be nearly as pleasant in my replies to posters ;)  

Blank

Thanks!! I love your humour!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949