Herpes and Valtrex
I was diagnosed with Herpes 33 years ago and have been using  1000 mg Valacyclovir a day for the past 4 years and have been free of outbreaks until a few weeks ago when I lost my job and became quite stressed.

I was able to take one extra tablet of 500 mg which stopped the outbreak from turning into blisters, but I am concerned if this medication is not working for me anymore.

I also wonder if Valacyclovir is the same as Valtrex or if Valtrex is stronger?

I appreciate your help.
you will have ob's even while on suppressive therapy. it's just been pure luck that you haven't had any in the last 4 years actually!!!!

valacyclovir and valtrex are the exact same medication.

grace

Thank you so much. I'm so shocked to realize how lucky I've been. Wow, I hope it continues and it's similar for others.

Much appreciation, Grace, for your expertise.

Cheers!

Hi again,

Good also to learn Valtrex and Valacyclovir are the same, thank  you. Grace, I was just reading up on it and it said to not take with alcohol, or at least to reduce my alcohol.

I was in a bit of a funk when I was recently laid of my job and I did some excess drinking for a couple weeks. I am certain now that could have attributed to my outbreak, but I am curious how alcohol consumption does reduce the effects of not only Valtrex but of anti-depressants too.

Does alcohol affect your immune system and make you more vulnerable?

Thanks again for your help.
if alcohol was an issue with herpes antivirals, I would not be nearly as pleasant in my replies to posters ;)  

Thanks!! I love your humour!!