Herpes Expert Forum
Herpes risk - mutual masturbation

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Herpes risk - mutual masturbation

I had two sexual encounters with an escort recently and want to assess my risk of catching HSV-2.

To start out with, I'm happily married, but sometimes make the mistake of seeing sex workers. However, I never engage is vaginal or oral sex. I only get a hand job.

The last two encounters were over the last week. In both cases, she gave me a hand job and inserted a sex toy in my anus. However, within the 15 before, she had touched herself (not inserting just touching the outside of the vaginal area under her panties). There wasn't any direct or immediate contact that I recall (i.e. her touching herself and immediately touching me). Lub was also used. The sex toy was clean and had a condom on it so that doesn't worry me.

She said that she basically gets tested every other month and I didn't notice any apparent lesions (however, she was wearing panties the whole time so I only say her upper thighs).

IF she was infected, would this exposure be a risk for HSV-2 ?

Even if she was infected with HSV 2, you don't have risk here.  Herpes requires skin to skin contact to be transmitted and you didn't have that.  Period.  Your contact was without risk.

Terri
Hi Terri,

Thanks for your answer.

If I understand correctly, unless there's direct skin to skin genital contact, there isn't any risk for HSV-2 ?

I know all this must be very trivial for you, but there are alot of discrepancies between what you read on the internet. Some sites say that mutual masturbation is a risk for HSV-2 (some put it as the same risk level as unprotected oral!). I understand you're quite an expert in the matter so I value your opinion very much.

HSV 2 does require direct contact for transmission.  Sex toys are an obvious exception.   And your question in no way seems trivial to me.  I guess you are going to have to decide on a source of information to believe.  It doesn't have to be me, but you need to settle on something because otherwise you will drive yourself nuts with this worry.

Terri