Herpes Community
Herpes vs Impitego vs Acne

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Herpes vs Impitego vs Acne

Last week my husband developed what he thought was a large pimple on the side of his nose.  It was swollen and painful and oozed yellow liquid.  The sore developled over night.
After 36 hours it was purplish and his face swollen and lymph sore and swollen.  
After visiting the doctor and receiving oral antibiotics and a topical antibiotic and corticosteroid, the lesion was quickly not painful, reduced swelling and seems to be pink and healing.
The doctor diagnosed as a herpes simplex 1.  When I asked what else it could be she said herpes.
I was not happy with the diagnosis and so am asking your opinion.
From what i've read, impitego is usually not painful but isn't it possible that the secondary infection which seemed to occur simultaneously could have caused the pain.
I don't believe he has ever had a sore like this before although he does have the occasional cystic acne.
Tags: lesion
At this point it's too late to culture it and get more accurate answers.  Should it ever reoccur - make them culture it for herpes within 24-48 hours of its appearance.

Oral antibiotics and topical antibiotics and steroids are not used to treat herpes ( well sometimes steroids but not usually ).  If it was really acyclovir and zovirax ointment then they aren't antibiotics but antivirals.  Not sure what all they prescribed for your hubby.

Hsv1 orally is incredibly common.  Over 60% of adults have it whether they get obvious cold sores or not.  It can present in the nasal area too.  Statistically - at least you or your hubby have hsv1 whether you know it or not.

grace
The prescriptions were Cephalexin and topical cream is fusidic acid 2%and hydrocortisone 1%
none of those are herpes treatments.

sounds like they were thinking more bacterial infection than herpes.  

grace
My husband had the same thing, but has tested neg. for both hsv1 and hsv2 as of yet.  See, he's in the military, so he sweats a lot and sometimes his pimples get infected from so much sweat and nastiness on his face.  The pimple probably just got infected is all.