Herpes Community
How likely is it to get herpes from receiving oral sex?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I posted this in the STD forum but wanted some advice here as well.  I am a male and last Tuesday, i received about 5 minutes of unprotected oral sex from another male.  I immediately panicked sInce I am married and do not want to jeopordize that over a stupid mistake.  The other person told me that he was completely clean, but I got tested for chlamydia and gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) anyway, and both came back negative.  It has been about 10 days now and I have not had any symptoms- no fever, rash, blisters or discharge.  My question is how common is it to get herpes from receiving oral sex?  If I had been exposed, would I have had symptoms by now, or is it still a possibility?  I have avoided having sex with my wife until my results came back, but will not be able to do so for another 3 months.
your symptoms don't sound at all like herpes.

hsv1 genitally is your main risk from receiving oral sex. if you already have hsv1, whether you know it or not, you aren't likely to contract it genitally from receiving oral sex.

odds are you would've had symptoms by now. just protect yourself in the future and only have protected sexual contact with other partners to protect yourself, save yourself worry and save yourself testing.
have you ever been tested for herpes before to know your status to ***** your herpes risk from this?

grace
I have never been tested, but this is the first experience that I have had with anyone other than my wife in 22 years.  Other than a slight irritation at the tip of my urethera- which is intermittent and seems to be improving daily, I have not had any sypmtoms that I am aware of.  Prior to this event, I had been masturbating quite frequently, and have not done so since this happened so I figure the irritation was probably due to that.  Could this also be a symptom of herpes, and would it be this mild?

Thanks for the help.  I have been really paranoid since this happened, and cannot beleive how stupid I was to put myself in this position in the first place.  It is funny the games that your own mind can play on you.
It has been three weeks now, and still no symtopms.  no rash, blisters or discharge of any sort.  The pain in my urethra als seems to be getting better.  Can I assume that I was not infected, or could symptoms still appear at this point?  I would like to resume unprotected sex with my wife, and want to make sure that it is safe.
Grace,  could you comment on above?  I would appreciate your advice.
only you can decide if you want to resume unprotected sex with your wife or not.  nothing you've experienced sounds like genital herpes going on.
It has been about 4 months now, and no ill effects.  However, I read something about HPV the other day and was wondering if this is a risk?  I have not developed any warts or lesions of any kind.  My wife has noticed a small bump just inside of her vagina, but it does not look like the pictures of warts that I have seen on the internet.  She is not sure how long it has been there.  Is it possible that I could have contracted HPV from this encounter and then passed it on to my wife?
you can contract hpv from receiving oral sex but overall the risk is rather low.  

your wife will need to be seen to get a proper diagnosis.