Herpes Community
Hsv 1 is it contagious?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hsv 1 is it contagious?

A week ago i got some painful lumps and swollen glands on my genitals, my GP said it was caused by simplex herpes virus, i was given a medication famciclovir after a week of taking it i has gone better. I insisted a blood test to be sure of what virus i got. Results came out positive on HSV 1 but is being negative on HSV 2.. My GP said i might have acquired HSV 1 when i was a child cause i can't remember having cold sores,  I give oral sex to my husband before having unsafe sex but he does not do it to me.. He didn't have either symptoms of it. My question is where can i possibly caught it, is it possible that i pass it on my genitals from my own saliva during intercourse? Is it possible to have another outbreak again? Is it still contagious? Is it possible to transmit it unto his genital area during sex and oral sex after the outbreak? Is there any medication to prevent another outbreak?
has your husband been tested to know his status?

did your gp do a lesion culture on your symptoms or was it just a visual diagnosis?

grace
no he doesn't go under a test yet.

It's just a visual diagnosis i did not undergo for a lesion culture, she didn't even ask me to have that test.. and i was the one who insisted to have a blood test done just for me to know my status, she even said to me that blood test wasn't really necessary..
I was confused about my diagnosis.
it's inappropriate to do a visual diagnosis of herpes only without follow up testing. Your provider needs to update their herpes info it sounds like.

get hubby tested and go from there. If he's hsv2+, then indeed there's a chance that this is genital herpes and you just recently contracted it and haven't seroconverted for it to be reflected in your own blood testing. if he's hsv2-, then you know it's less likely that you really do have genital herpes.