Herpes Expert Forum
Hsv1 from oral

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Hsv1 from oral

I am a 34 yo male. I received protected oral from csw on 10/29/12. I Took 2g zpack oral @ 1wk. After 2-3 weeks had Tingling in genitals, then just on the right side of penile shaft on and off. On week 4 went to masterbate and couldn't due to burning pain on right side of penile shaft. The burning lasted a few hrs. I had a pink spot the size of a quarter for about 10 days. I tested at 32 days for all 8 panels. Negative (to include hsv1&2 igg).
At 7 weeks I had the same type of burning pink spot apear in the same spot for 3 days.This happened right at christmas so i couldn't see my urologist until week 8 saw urologist & he again thought it wasn't from herpes. Visual inspection, no sign of herpes.That week he also removed some skin tags from both sides of penile shaft and tested them for hpv warts, test negative.Tested at 9.5 weeks, all negative(to include hsv1&2 igg). Had a phone consult with nurse from stdexpress. She said there is No need for further testing. Went to internal med dr at 10 weeks for strep throat. She Gave me a shot of penicillin & steroid, zpack 250mg. Follow up with urologist at 10 weeks 4 days.I discussed with him my concerns about herpes with having a pink spot twice one month apart. He said he still thinks it isn't herpes and the 9 week test was good in his opinion & No need for further testing. At 10 weeks and 5 days i am having tingling on the right/left side on & off. I won't be able to get tested again until 15 weeks due to being at work. I had the worst anxiety of my life over this. I noticed my arm pits would hurt as long as I was stressing about herpes. Then first thing in the morning I would feel fine. I would start to think about everything again and my arm pits would start up again.I haven't had any ulcers or noticeable lesions. I am nervous due to stories of people that only get mild symptoms.Thanks for all that you do in the persuit of furthering medicine!
First of all, you didn't give anything like this to your daughter.  Period.  Put that one away.

Second, if your tests are negative for HSV at 2 months, for both types, I think it is very likely it will stay that way.  You can test again at 4 months if you are still worried.

Also, when we try to assess how likely infection is, we have to consider the experience in addition to the virus.  Receiving oral sex with a condom is very low risk (and good judgment on your part, I might add).  

With everything you have told me, I think the chances of you being infected with herpes genitally is very low indeed.

Terri
The short list of facts are.
Protected oral with csw 10-29.
Pink spot on right side of penile shaft at 4 & 7 weeks. With tingling and burning on & off.
No ulcers, scabs etc. No flu, night sweats, etc.
Negative full std panel and  igg specific test at 32 & 65 days.
Urologist has told me I just have guilt and anxiety. He doesn't recommend retesting.
Please give me your expert opinion.
Also, I have been really stressed that I could have given it to my daughter from changing her diaper/giving baths. I am quite sure I washed my hands everytime, but still scared of the possibility!
Thank you for the response.

Your comments have reduced my anxiety regarding hsv1 genitally.

I am curious as to what would cause the burning & tingling pink spot on my penile shaft twice, three weeks apart. (Since it is most common a break out on the shaft)

I still get the tingling on and off every once in awhile, but I haven't gotten a pink spot since week 7.

I am planning on getting tested at 4 months.

Your comments and time are greatly appreciated.
I meant to say that the most common place to have a break out is on the penile shaft, not that I have had a break out with lesions or ulcers.
Other things could cause a pink spot, just an irritation or a fungal infection.  If you notice the pink spot again, have a clinician look at it and test it.

Terri
Hi terri i dnt no how to create my own post just to add onto others . If i have had oral hsv 1 for years is it unlikely i could of contracted genital hsv1 too? I had unprotected oral sex last week , he had no visable coldsore at the time and 2 days after i started to feel unwell and had pain in my vagina, i took the mirror down there and seen about 5 sores together with fluid in them , i had a culture test about 2 days after noticing these lesions still awaiting results! Am so terrified , could this happen? Thnks
Thanks Terri,
I have read your book cover to cover in my spare time.
The information is very informative and helpful!
The Personal recollection on page 35 has removed the reassurance you gave me about my symptoms. I am still trying to be positive, but have almost accepted that I have HSV1.
I had the pink spot again, same location at 12 weeks with tingling & burning for about 2 days then gone again.
Unable to culture while at work, so just have to wait.
That makes it 3 times at the same location about a month apart each time.
My anxiety is under control, but still have a concern.
Thank you again for your insight and continuing to study the Herpes virus.
I will update again when I have test results.
UPDATE: just downloaded my 16 week Captiva hsv igg test, all negative!
I am very relieved by these results naturally!
I was very nervous after reading the story on page 35 of your book.
Should I put this  to to bed?
Do I need to worry about being in the 8% of non-seroconverters?
Thanks again!
Yes, put this to bed.  
If you are still concerned about having HSV 1 without the ELISA picking it up, get a western blot.

This is my final post on this thread.

Terri
HSV1 positive by western blot.
OK, now your know your antibody status.  However, you don't know the location of the HSV 1 infection.  It could be oral or genital.  If you have another lesion, either orally or genitally, I would advise that you have it swab tested to sort that out.

Terri