Herpes Community
Interpretation of HSV Testing Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Interpretation of HSV Testing Results

Need help interpreting HSV testing results.

Testing timeline:  

1)  HSV 1-2 IGG Herpeselect AB  (9/4/12) and UW Western Blot (10/24/12)
2)  HSV 1-2 IGG Herpeselect AB  (1/21/13) and UW Western Blot (1/21/13)

I have had no symptoms to this date.  I had general std testing done on 9/4/12.  My IGG test results were negative for HSV-1, but positive for HSV-2 (index value 2.48).  I later determined that this score was in the "gray zone" and perhaps false negative (though less likely so, given that I apparently had no HSV-1 antibodies to confuse the issue).  I then had WB testing done on 10/24/12.  Result:  "Indeterminate for HSV."

I then allotted a few months for full antibody profiles to develop, in case of recent contraction, and ran both tests again on 1/21/13.  This time, my IGG response to HSV-1 was still negative, but my index value for HSV-2 had risen to 3.62.  My second WB test was actually a seroconversion panel, specifically meant to isolate differences between my first and second samples.  This time, my WB results said positive for HSV-1 and indeterminate for HSV-2, for both samples, "no change in antibody status" (interesting, because they mentioned no HSV-1 positivity the first time around).

The very last point of possible infection would have been around August 28,2012, putting about 20 wks, 6 days between time of infection and the most recent "indeterminate" WB.  However, I know for a fact that the person whom I had sex with on this date has tested negative for HSV-2, so we are looking at about 9 months between the last real possible point of infection and this most recent indeterminate western blot.

How should I interpret these results?  My IGG value is now out of the gray range, but my Western Blot remains indeterminate, and should have seroconverted by now, if positive.  WB results indicate HSV-1 positivity, so perhaps this really is a confounding factor on IGG test. Thoughts?
Update:  Had another Western Blot done on a sample drawn 7/18/13.  Still positive HSV-1 and Indeterminate HSV-2, putting about 9 months between the first indeterminate result and most recent indeterminate result.  Still no symptoms.

Have been told this likely means I'm negative for HSV-2.
I never heard of a situation like this. Did you try and contact someone at the lab for clarification?

This might be a question to ask and expert at the STD forum.

The way I see it is if you do not have any active lesions, breakout or symptoms, and WB is indeterminate 3 times (as the gold standard of all test - aside from "positive" culture swabs)

Then you should have nothing to worry about. I've heard of people with IGG Herpes 2 in the 5.6 range that proved negative using a WB.

Life360 is very knowledgeable in this area - he should respond soon.
Yes, I contacted someone at UW virology research for help interpreting my results.  I am unsure whether this person would want me namedropping them, but suffice it to say, I'm convinced this person knows what they are talking about.  Their interpretation was that, despite the Elisa results,  I am likely HSV-1 positive, and not HSV2 positive.