Herpes Community
Interpreting my EIA Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Interpreting my EIA Results

Hello; I know these kinds of questions have been asked before, so I'm sorry to clutter the boards, but like most people I'm hoping that I am not, after all, HSV-positve.

I had a high-risk encounter roughly two weeks ago; five days ago (a week and a half after the encounter) I went to my family medicine doctor and asked her to do a full test for STDs, including herpes. Up to this point, a burning rash on my penis, and slightly inside my urethra, had appeared roughly one to two days after the encounter, and after frantic websearching I determined I may have herpes.

Here are the results I received:

HSV 2 IgG (EIA):     0.2
HSV 2 IgM (EIA):     1.7

These results are described by the testing facility as a 'primary acute infection with HSV 2'. My understanding of these results is that it indicates I have been recently infected (within the past ten days of the test, which would be accurate).

My question is, could this be a false positive? I remain dubious, given that I have shown minor symptoms (and continue to) and had a high-risk encounter. I suppose it's more than likely I have it. But does anything about my story or my numbers suggest I would be wise to pursue further testing, and if so, how might I do this? (I live in a country where STDs are extremely taboo, and their treatment is generally not covered by insurance.) Lord knows I'm trying to beat back the depression that I've had since getting that phone call, and this is all I'm holding onto at the moment.

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.
I dont know much but im in the same boat. I think none of us are quite sure the Reality of Hepes until we have caught it and its too late. Im waiting for my results tomorrow monday. Crisse my fingers prayed to god but at this point i feel i have it to having unprotect with 4 preaople all recently has put me at high exposure . Good luck with your testing
Thanks, Alex.

And, I also want to say that, while it's hard to feel this myself, know that it doesn't really change who & what you are unless you let it, you know? 'Stay strong' can sound silly, but there's more to you than your genitals.

And yeah, it's one of life's tragic jokes -- if only we could send the fear & panic we feel now back to our past selves, give us a taste of what we're risking, then we'd never have done the things we did. But mistakes, bad decisions, have consequences, and once can only hope we're made stronger through them.
To add some further information, I was also subjected to an analysis of my urine (MSU is the test?); Gram Stain indicated no bacteria seen. Culture showed no growth after 48 hours. However, it's noted that Chlamydia, Ureaplasma and Mycoplasma are not detected with this media.

Perhaps it was too early for these? My doctor was obviously not experienced with this sort of thing, and didn't even really examine me -- I showed her my genitals and she glanced for a moment, said it might be herpes after all (I had suggested it), and then ordered the bloodwork done.

I guess I'll just have to test at 3 months and see what's what? In the meantime I'm taking famciclovir, finishing my first 24 hour's dosage. I've begun to experience a small amount of burning while urinating so I wonder if it might not be urethral herpes, which would uh, suck.
the only testing for std's that you had done 2 weeks post encounter that was accurate was chlamydia and gonorrhea, if you were tested for those. You need to wait at least 6 weeks post encounter for syphilis testing. 3 months for herpes, hiv and hepatitis testing.

the herpes igm test is a greatly flawed test . In the US, current recommendations by the CDC are that it not be drawn on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.  A positive igm isn't usually accurate.

so what do you do now? repeat your std testing, including the herpes igg blood testing for hsv1 and hsv2 at the proper time and go from there. no more igm testing should be done. should you get a return of symptoms before it's time to test again, be seen promptly for exam. if they suspect herpes, a lesion culture and typing of symptoms is a good idea to get faster answers.

did they think your rash looked like irritation or fungal at all?

grace
No, but like I said, it seemed as though the doctor had little experience with STDs and was uncomfortable dealing with them... Unfortunately I live in a strict Muslim country, so finding a doctor who has experience with this kind of thing is hard. I've been having trouble in my right eye lately, so I'm going to see an ophthalmologist to see if I've inadvertently spread hsv2 to my eye.

I've been on famvir the past day and a half, and the burning has started to go away, so I'm beginning to suspect that the two are related, and the treatment worked. :/
it's highly unlikely that you transmitted herpes to your eye. it's just not that easy to do.

the rates of std's are still fairly high in muslim countries, sounds like you just found a provider that doesn't like to deal with diagnosing them out of fear of what could happen to you if you have one :(
Thankfully the opthalmologist said it was just dry eyes. Probably my mind, mainly, playing tricks on me. Heh!

Thanks for your help Grace.