Herpes Community
Intraoral Herpes or what?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Intraoral Herpes or what?

I have posted before but for some reason it won't allow me to update it so I figured I'd start a new one.

On Dec 6 2009, I performed unprotected oral sex on another male. It was a random hookup, which was stupid I know, but it happened. I did not notice anything on him or feel anything if he did have herpes. I knew that if one was to acquire herpes, that symptoms would usually show up within 2-20 days. Knowing this, I looked at my throat regularily, even in the bathroom at work, to see if I noticed anything going on. Well, on the 23rd, 17 days after the encounter, I was in the restroom at work and noticed two red sores forming at the tip of my tongue. They did not really hurt, but were noticable and only hurt if they were pushed against my teeth. The next day, another one formed a little to the side. Of course, in my head i'm thinking this is herpes right off the bat. But after 3.5 days, they disappeared altogether. I didn't think much of it, but a month later on January 22nd, they came back. This time, there was a white spot on my tonsil that I thought was just food, The spots were in the same exact spots as they were before, and they disappeared only 3 days later again.

I already had an appointment with the doctor but by time I was able to see him, the spots on my tongue was gone. He, like me, thought the spot on the tonsil was food so he just told me to gargle and it would come out. Though, about 5  days later, the spots on my tongue returned. I went to the doctor a day later so he could see the spot on my tongue but he didn't think anything of it and said it is probably a "stress ulcer" but told me he can't rule out herpes since I told him that I had oral sex before. He gave me a prescription for famciclovir and paxil. This time, however, the spot on my tonsil came back as well as my gums got inflammed and my tongue swelled up to where my mouth was very much in pain. I got two more sores underneath my tongue, and could not eat or drink for two days. Also, I have been having very severe headaches for about three days during this too, but not sure if it was due to stressing out over the symptoms.

Stupid me put my fingers in my mouth to lift up my gums to see what was going on. I immediately washed my hands afterwards and also put my contacts in. Later in the day, I took my contacts out and about two hours later, my eyes became red and hurt just to have tears in them. Thus, I was afraid that I put herpes into my eyes

I went to the eye doctor two days after my eyes got infected, and she told me I had two dry spots in them and said she didn't see any lesions. She said it was probably from my contacts being old but my contacts were still fairly new. I was taking the prescription too to see if it would help. Eventually, the swelling and the sores in my mouth disappeared about 8 days later. I had a follow up with my eye doctor this past saturday, 8 days later, and she said they looked fine, but my eyes still hurt and look red so she gave me eye drops. I got blood work done too to see if this was herpes, though it was only 10 weeks after my encounter. The results came back negative for both HSV 1 and HSV 2.

So basically, i'm still freaking out what this is. I dunno if I tested too early for the results to be reliable. I know grace says 12 weeks is the earliest, but I was thinking 10 weeks would be ok for the results to be reliable enough since this "outbreak" happened three times already. Yesterday, I noticed the spots coming back at the tip of my tongue, and the white spot on the tonsil came back. Tonsil didn't last long, only for a day and it is gone now, just the tip of the tongue is a little sore. I guess I should mention too that I have ulcerative colitis and geographic tongue, but I know what geogrphic tongue looks like since I have had it for years and my colitis I have had for two years, just not sure if this is what is causing this to happen. Was figuring maybe someone on here who actually has herpes orally can maybe shed some light on what I have described to be part of herpes or not.

Questions I should ask everyone are:
1. Does this sound like a herpes outbreak inside the mouth and maybe the eyes or some other type of infection?
2. Was my bloodtest too early or is ten weeks a reasonable amount of time?
3. Are there disease/infections I could get from maybe breathing in the air in the bathroom at my work since I have been looking at my mouth regularily before the 1st "outbreak" and 2nd "outbreak?"
I do work on a military installation where I have to deal with 500 soldiers daily in an old gym building that is probably 50 years old with the bathrooms being very....dirty and humid lol.  
4. I have read that people who usually get their first outbreak is around 3-4 days after they have been exposed, do you think by it taking 17 days and disappearing after 3.5 days that it probably is not herpes or is it different since it is being inside of the mouth instead of the outside?
Bleh, I just looked at my mouth a little bit ago and noticed like a cut like scratch thing that is on the inside of my bottom lip. It's about half the width of one of the front teeth but is noticably a darker red in the middle with a little bit of white. Doesn't hurt as of now but of course I am freaking out as to what it can be. It looks too long to be a canker sore. =(
You should have a dentist look at it sadly we can't tell with the description really.
we've responded to your posts many times now. nothing more we can do to help you. continue to follow up on this with providers as needed.

grace
I know, I just hate waiting for enough time to pass to get tested again. I don't want to start medication again for fear it might not be herpes at all but wouldn't want to be on meds anyway and just let my immune system cope with it. I will make an appointment tomorrow to see a dentist who might know what it could be. Hopefully that will confirm what it is. =D
Sounds like a plan!  :-)  I know you can't wait.  I am in the same boat.  Take it day by day and remember whats been said by grace.  
Just get them swabbed by a doctor and find out what it is. stop wasting your time and energy wondering.