Herpes Community
Low positive & irritation but no blisters

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Two months ago after two days of a lot of sex with my ex (who I now know had another gf) I noticed I was very swollen after sex, this lasted for almost a full week after the episode- also had burning and itching. Went to gyn but tested neg for yeast, bacteria chlamydia, gonerrhea ect and doc didn't think it was herpes so she didn't test. It went away but when I had sex again the same thing happened, pretty much felt fine till I had sex and then would pay for it for days with burning and severe swelling, I think I had some minimal swelling at all times but nothing like after sex. Went to another gyn in same practice, who also agreed it didn't sound like herpes but agreed to test me anyway and also retested all the ones done previous. I tested positive this time for yeast and also for herpes type 2 both Igg and igm, doctor gave me diflucan (itching went away after that) and said I had contracted herpes prob within the last few months, gave me 10 days of 1 gram twice a day of acyclovir followed by 500mg once day after that for prevention. During the 10 days I noticed no change in swelling, although I wasn't having sex I could tell inner labia was not it's normal size (looked fat/plump/engorged and red), some discharge, I didn't have any burning or anything though during this time. The day I switched to the 500 mg dose (yesterday) the burning came back, the discharge is still there, and the swelling the same. I have never had blisters, mostly swelling and burning (but not standard herpes symptoms), this has not resolved after 2 full months (I didn't think herpes went that long for outbreak) and from what I understand these are low results (posted below) so I ask your thoughts as my doc basically said there is no such thing as low positive, you have herpes, the me and will help but it didn't and now I'm symptomatic without sex. Would I benefit from retesting? If not herpes tho then what is causing this?

Name                        Value Reference Range
HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec <0.91 0.00-0.90 index
HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec 1.25 0.00-0.90 index

Lab: HSV, IgM I/II Combination
Name                       Value Reference Range
HSV, IgM I/II Combination 1.79 0.00-0.90 Ratio
the dose of antiviral you are talking about is probably valtrex, not acyclovir. check your bottle to see what it says.

correct, your hsv2 igg is a low positive and it will need confirmed with further testing.  you have to wait until 4 months after you last had sex with this partner to seek out a herpes WB blood test if you are in the US.

continue to follow up with the gyn monthly as needed. this really doesn't sound like a herpes problem evenif you do end up confirming that you are hsv2+.

grace
as for the obgyn saying there is no such thing as low positives that need confirmed, it's actually malpractice to not confirm low positives so to best serve their patients and to avoid lawsuits, they should read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines and update their herpes testing info!
Thank you  for your response, your correct it's actually valcyclovir which I'm guessing is generic valtrex. They were exploring the possibility that the swelling was a side effect of vesicare i recently started till I got pos hsv results so maybe I need to explore that. I will wait  to get the WB test, is it something my doc can do in office or does that Washington lab only do? Im obviously want it to be negative, but how wud I test neg if I already have antibodies? My doc said I shouldn't have any antibodies unless I have it.. Will taking valtrex affect results at all? If I have any antibodies on WB is that considered pos or is it only if I show over a certain amount? Do u have the link to CDC guidelines?
our read before posting post has the info for how to get a WB done for herpes.  You can order the kit and your provider can order your local lab to draw it and send it for you.

there are false positives on the blood testing which is why we recommend confirming all low positives that you haven't had a + lesion culture to confirm infection.