Herpes Community
Oral Herpes by drinking in a cup?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Oral Herpes by drinking in a cup?

Well, I've been here before, and asked about my possible encounter with herpes in the past. Got tested and found out that I indeed do not have it.

But yesterday, my anxiety was triggered again by just hanging out with a group of friends. While there, we started drinking at a bar and one friend who I suspected had oral Herpes asked if another if he could taste what another friend was drinking. He then drank from  it. The cup of beer then proceeded to be passed around so everyone can try it, and I stupidly agreed and too a sip from it. I didn't want to be rude.

At the time I didn't worry too much. But since that anxiety bug hit me as soon as I got home, I started searching, and I was hit hard by the fact that every piece of information on the net contradicts another statement.

One site states Herpes is only transmitted by direct skin-to-skin contact. Another states, it can be transmitted, but the risks are so low it's negligible. Another site states that it is a very real possibility. Another sites states that it can only be transmitted if the person has an outbreak. Another states it can be absolutely be transmitted by pure saliva residue, even if it's been outside the body.

I even came across the "Beer Pong" report that turned out to be a hoax, or a report with an ulterior motive. Which didn't help me one bit.

What is the actual medical risk of drinking from someone else's cup? I'm tired of being nervous about this, I just want to live my life in piece without offending anyone I know, or worrying that I might be infected just by not being sure about the true risks.
Tags: Oral, cup, Herpes, risk
You need to see a Doctor about your anxiety that is your biggest problem ...... you will not get Herpes from a cup !!! end of story ......
Thanks, I needed that.

I really do have a pretty severe anxiety problem. Sometimes I need a forceful nudge to straighten me up.

Thanks for the help. I really need to do something about this.