Herpes Community
Oral sex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Oral sex

Hello to everyone. Just nervous about getting hsv2 from receiving unprotected oral sex from a woman for 7mins and ejaculated in her mouth. What's the chances of me getting hsv2 form this exposure which I already have hsv1 antibodies. Also how long after the exposure will you see a breakout of hsv2? Thank you!
One more thing. Because I have oral hsv1 can I still get genital hsv1?  Thank you again.
hsv1 genitally is the main risk herpeswise from oral sex.

if you don't have symptoms within 2-3 weeks, you didn't contract herpes.

have you ever been tested to know your herpes status before?

grace
Grace, thank you for your respond. I know your busy but yes I have tested for herpes which was a herpeselect igg test and tested positive for hsv1 which is oral hsv1. So if I don't see any herpes within 3 weeks I should not worry about contracting it from this exposure and not even test for it and just move on and leave this behind? Thank Grace for your wonderful time which your a legend on this subject of herpes. Thank you again.
if you already have hsv1 then herpes isn't a concern from this encounter.

I'll give you my safe sexual contact lecture in your post on the std forum :)
Sorry also because I got oral hsv1 can I get genital hsv1? And does the antibodies for hsv1 try to fight the hsv2 antibodies?
you are incredibly unlikely to contract hsv1 genitally since you have it orally.

no, hsv1 doesn't provide any significant protection against contract hsv2.
So don't worry about hsv2 from this exposure? Thank you thank you n thank you
You can contract hsv2 by oral sex too.... its commen.
Ex: If u give someone oral with hsv2 genital so you get it in your mouth then you give someone else oral so you will pass it genital to him/her. That is how  you can get hsv from oral sex.
no contracting hsv2 from oral sex isn't common at all. Only about 3% of all oral herpes infections are hsv2 and on average hsv2 orally only sheds about 1% of days so it's incredibly unlikely to be transmitted through oral sex.

grace
It is possible to spread hsv 2 through oral sex especially if ur partner has it. A lot of people do not have symptoms when they have been exposed to hsv 2; therefore if u dont have symptoms with 2-3 weeks it doesnt mean u dont have it. The best way to confirm is to get a blood test in about 3 months to check for antibodies
Gracefromhhp, in your 15 years of doing this have you ever come across someone contracting hsv2 from receiving oral sex?  Because I read that Terri warren only saw or heard about only 5 cases that someone had oral hsv2. Also that the doctors on this website like Dr. Hansfield never seen a case  of someone contracting hsv2 from oral sex in his 30 year career. Am I right because grace your a medhelp volunteer for years here and a asha member. Thank you.
You said it sheds 1% a day. How does that work?Does that mean it has a 1% chance everyday? And also what do you mean by it sheds?
Dr. Handsfield just posted on the topic of the transmission of HSV2 from receiving oral sex.

"Oral sex never transmits HSV-2."

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Suspected-Herpes-Dx/show/1719691
Thanks petal 130. What does shed mean though? If you don't mind answering it
My friend got genital herpes hsv2 from oral sex. HSV2 oral is common because it doesn't act like HSV1 oral with many outbreaks in mouth.
Both virues are very common.
shedding is when the virus is active and detectable on the skin's surface.

1% shedding means that it is able to be detected 1 out of every 100 days.  
So out of the whole year it's active for 3 to 4 days
on average yes.  imagine the odds of having intimate contact on one of those days.
GracefromHHP, with all these years of you doing this have you ever come across someone contracting hsv2 from receiving oral sex? Should I just move on and leave this behind? That's all. No more questions. Just dont want to give my wife a std. Thank you Grace.
I think we had one poster that after a lot of questioning probably did contract hsv2 genitally from only oral sex. we've had others that just think they did and after questioning find out odds are they had it long before the oral sex act that they think was responsible for infection.  

I think I still only need 2 hands to count all the posters who contracted hsv2 orally too.
GracefromHHP, I'm thinking of getting tested at the ten week mark or just wait for the 12 week mark for a conclusive result. But I have hsv1 antibodies so would that delay the test result if I get it at the 10 week mark or 12 week mark? The reason I'm doing it because I don't want to give anything to my wife. Thanks.
12 weeks is fine to test for peace of mind.
So you said peace of mind. So you think I didn't contract hsv2 from this exposure?
Nothing is 100% gurantee in medical
already told you numerous times now why you don't need to worry about herpes from this encounter.
Gracefromhhp,  so just move on and leave this behind? Thanks
you got it :)
So move on and leave this behind?
please do not ask me to repeat myself over and over again dear.
Sorry but just want  to know "so move on and leave this behind? Didn't really understand when you said "YOU GOT IT :)" sorry. Just want to know to move on and leave this behind and not worry about it? You just say yes, just move on n leave this behind or no don't move on
?????
Gracefromhhp???????
????!! Can you answer me gracefromhhp
This is basic English connotation.

"You got it" means "Yes".

So, the answer is yes to your question "so just move on and leave this behind?" is YES.