Herpes Community
Oral thrush and swollen tonsils

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Oral thrush and swollen tonsils

Two and a half weeks ago, I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a new guy I'm dating.  Two days after our encounter, I woke up with a red, itchy throat, swollen tonsils and a white coating on my tongue.  I also had all of the symptoms of a yeast infection.  I went to my doctor to have all of the STD tests run and am awaiting the results.  I also was given treatment for oral thrush and vaginal yeast.  While these are slowly clearing, the swollen tonsils and redness in the throat have not improved at all.

I've read that oral herpes can present as tonsillitis.  Is it possible that this is herpes and oral thrush even though my throat is only red and not really painful?  Also, should I have sores by now if this is herpes?  

Or, is it more likely that the oral thrush has spread to my esophagus, which is causing the throat irritation and swollen tonsils?

The medical profession has not offered me much help on this.  If this is herpes, I doubt it will show up because my body won't produce enough antibodies two weeks post exposure.  
This could be herpes but it's more likely to be many other things.

Have you talked to your new man about him going for std testing, including herpes testing?  Do you know if you were tested for herpes when you had your screening done?

grace
He claims that he was tested just a few weeks ago for everything including HIV and that it came back negative.  He also said that he does get cold sores in his mouth from time to time, which I read can be transmitted both orally and vaginally.  

I keep looking in my mouth for sores but can't find anything.  And yes, I was tested for herpes as well earlier this week.  Should know more by tomorrow.

It just seems bizarre that the white coating on my tongue would be going away but the tonsils and throat would remain red and inflamed, no?
No really, don't underestimate what a fungal infection can do!!

grace
swollen tonsils are from herpes? what about swollen lymphnodes under jaw? this went away with antibiotics after a few days...
I had swollen glands and swollen tonsils that went away w.augmentin875 after a few days. Would those symptoms go away in a few days? I had no fever. Would a breakout happen after these symptoms occured or during?
after that it went away they were veryyyy inflammed but no spots on the tonsils or anything. they were just red. do you think this has to do with sores and all? would the sore come after before or durint those symptoms if I had it? and if those indeed were symptoms would  the blood test show up positive during that time? cuz it was negative for both
I believe you have your own thread that we've been discussing your particular situation in correct?  Your situation is different from this posters.

grace
what were your results? i am in the same situation and i am very nervous!