Herpes Expert Forum
Please Help....

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Please Help....

I had an STD exam done and everything came back negative except this and I'm freaking out because I have no idea what it means. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank You

HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 2.55 index 0.00-0.90 Final Above Normal High
HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec <0.91 index 0.00-0.90 Final
HSV 1 IgM Antibodies 1:1000 titer <1:10          Final Above Normal High
HSV 2 IgM Antibodies 1:100 titer <1:10          Final Above Normal High

Can you please help me.
OK.  You very likely have HSV 1 and don't have HSV 2.  I don't know anything about your last sexual contact timing so I can't say if these are accurate.  We ask that patients wait 4 months from their last sexual contact to test for greatest accuracy.

Your HSV 1 result is in the low posititve range, and if you were our patient, we would confirm with a western blot.  However, if you have ever in your life, even as a child, had a cold sore on your lip, you will always be positive for HSV 1.  If you have never had a cold sore on your lip, and if you have received oral sex, this could be genital and there is no way to know without an outbreak in either location.  Fifty six percent of the US population between 14 and 49 are positive for HSV 1, so it is very very common.

Terri
Thank You very much for your response. I got these test results from a family practice clinic...the actual person who explained these results was (F DO) which I think the (F) stands for family and (DO) for doctor. That person stated that I was HSV 1 positive and then afterwards explained that I was HSV 2 positive and explained that as well. After hearing what she had to say about HSV 2 I started freaking out and started researching it myself. I freaked out so much that I even made an appointment to get retested at an actual hospital.
About my comment before this one... my main question is did the Doctor even know how to read the results properly. This diagnoses would undoubtedly change the rest of my life.