Herpes Community
Positive IgG EIA- with no levels?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Positive IgG EIA- with no levels?

Hello All!

I was very recently "diagnosed" with HSV type 1 & 2, after visiting my local health department due to a "cut" on the inside of my labia minora (I scratched this ONE spot 3 or 4 times, with my nails none the less, and it became a small lesion) which caused me concern as I have recently acquired a new partner. I have been blood tested three times prior- 6 years ago, two or so years ago, and again 5 months ago. Negative each time for IgM and IgG. This time, I test "IgG/EIA positive" - but here is what is baffling to me - not only have I tested negative 3 separate times, but I have NEVER had a cold sore or a genital lesion, EVER. Not even so much as a canker sore! Also, five past partners, including the most recent, as well as my ex husband, ALL tested negative (I called all of them to let them know to get tested or retested, and required PROOF of results- yes, I'm a Nazi like that.)

I happen have a parent that is HSV2 positive, so I am aware enough to have asked the woman who called me from the health department for my "levels." She says, "There are none." There are none? She states that with an EIA test, there are no levels, it is just positive or negative for type 1/2. Now, I have done enough research and have been "around" this virus long enough to know that this specific test has antibody levels. Is this woman brain damaged, have I been duped? I also had a swab of the lesion done (the NP told me did not look like a herpetic lesion), which was to be sent off for a culture...only to find out that there is no record of a swab ever having been performed on the lesion, nor is there a culture result (obviously.)

What am I to believe? Who do I contact within a state organization to get some answers? Should I retest elsewhere (my gynecologist wont see me anymore, due to having medicaid- long story.)
What do I do? Does this sound even remotely normal to anyone else? Has anyone else ever been in this situation?

All input is welcomed. Thank you!
Hi, the elsa test is a value test and is 97% sentitive. If you believe you fall into the 3% false positive range then have a second test either the Western Blot or to make things quick and easy do the biokit which is hsv2 specific.

This final test will be the deciding factor since you dont know if you fell into a false positive range with the elsa you had.

If you do infact have it you got it from one after the last negative was shown.
I'm more or less concerned with the fact that this nurse keeps telling me there are no levels, in her results nor at the lab- just a neg or pos.
If I do have it, I will deal accordingly.....but, I think it is at least my right to know HOW + I am, if I am in fact +. I am baffled by "no levels," and wondering if anyone else has encountered such a thing from a health dept..or with an EIA? Thank you for the feedback! :)
I dont know how long you have been going for checkups but ive experienced this lack of knowlege and concern from many many doctors, nurses and staff.
EIA or ELISA should have numerical values, but some results for particular kits or lab practices are to convert the results to positive or negative.

It is all sounding a bit like a 1/2 IgG combined test? If so it is a pretty useless test.

Regardless of whether you get values, the chance of a false positive seems high, almost to the point if you feel you have only had negative partners, is there any concern?
That is what I mean- there SHOULD be numerical values, but she is insistent that there is not. And she said that the test has detected both type 1+ as well as type 2+ results.... so I am assuming the test detects both strands...separately? They only took one vial of blood- have no idea if that is completely irrelevant or not. And therein lies my concern- and why I wish for the numeric levels. Seeing as I am/have been completely asymptomatic, with negative partners...if my levels are some astronomically low positive, etc....

Very frustrating....