This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.
I was concerned about a type 1 herpes exposure to my genitals back in April. I consulted a doctor about it and at the time my doctor said I had nothing to worry about. My doctor blood tested me however for syphilis and herpes type ii which i was negative for. But told me I could get tested in 3 months for piece of mind. I was blood tested last Monday and was neg for type 2 but positive for type 1 at a 1.18. I was tested again this past Monday and came up negative for both. How should I interpret these results? Am i positive for type 1? Should I get tested again?
even the best blood tests we have still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. hard to tell at this point if you truly do have hsv1 or not. Odds are you don't but if you really need the peace of mind you can consider seeking out a herpes WB blood test to see what your status is.
unfortunately just repeating the same test again doesn't always get you the answers you need. Each test looks at specific parts of the immune response to infection to herpes and if it's not being picked up on one test, getting a different one is better. we consider the herpes wB the good standard of herpes blood testing so we prefer using that one to confirm status.
you can still get a herpes WB blood test done in NY. it's easiest to get it through quest labs though you can cal the U of washington, get the kit sent to you and have your provider order your local lab to draw the blood and send it out to the U of washington for you.
I'm in the process of arranging a western blot. But I was wondering what your impression of these recent results were. The 1.87 and 2.13 were from the same day. (They weren't my idea---my doctors insisted on it)
Thank you for the response. I'm still working on the western blot. I've had several tests for hsv1 in the past and they've all been negative. Does the fact that I've never had a false positive have any impact on the chances of this being a false positive?
My doctor told me to wait a month to get the western blot done. My doctor believes that I'm still seroconverting since my tests have fluctuated and will not submit a western blot for me. I'm in the NY area so there is a cap on the number my doc can submit. However its been 4 months post exposure and I'd really like to get this done. Should I seek a western blot from another doctor now or wait?
I'm sorry to be annoying but I'm very confused and I just want to make sure that I'm understanding correctly. When you say that it is fine---does this mean that a negative result at the 4 month mark will be definitive?
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.