Possible herepes on buttocks?
I have had a few sexual encounters in the past few weeks.

Within the last week to 10 days I began experiencing itching on my left buttock, at first just thought it was a bug bit of some sort, after a few days the itching got worse, when I finally took a look after about 5 days, I saw an area about a half dollar size, red skin with about 15-20 of what look like white pimples. The area itches but I've been trying to resist scratching it.

I've never had genital herpes (that I'm aware of anyway), so I've never had herpes on my genitals. I've been researching this online and everything I find makes this sound like genital herpes. Now through my reading I have read that genital herpes can occur anywhere in the "boxer area", the spot I have this breakout in certainly falls within that area but here are my questions:

1. Can you get genital herpes on the buttocks with never having had it in the genital area? (penis, scrotum)
2. How did this site get infected with herpes ?(if it turns out that's in fact what it is)
3. How concerned should I be it will spread to other areas like my penis or scrotum?

Now I realize that it's possible this isn't herpes at all and I do planned on having it checked but wanted to ask the questions here first going on the assumption  it is in fact genital herpes.
yes you can have herpes on the buttocks. you need to be seen and get this looked at to find out what is going on. can be many things from irritation to a bacterial infection ( MRSA is very common now in the genital area and won't go away without antibiotics ) to yes, herpes as wwell as any other number of things. Since this has been going on for over a week now, the odds of getting an accurate herpes lesion culture is pretty low. You might have to be treated based on a visual diagnosis at this point and do follow up testing to confirm your status.

has you ever been tested for herpes before to know your status?

so how would you get herpes on the buttocks? it happens there commonly because when you get infected with herpes in the genital area, it infects the entire nerve ganglia and can cause symptoms anywhere from the lower back down no matter what the sexual positions you usually have. if you do have herpes on the buttocks, it's already in the penis too.

grace
Thanks for your comments Grace

So even if I've never shown signs of any lesions on my penis likely it just hasn't manifested with an outbreak there but could occur at anytime? (again with the assumption it is herpes)

No, I've never been tested or diagnosed with herpes and am hopefull that this is not herpes, but from everything I've seen in reasearching this including scabies & shingles, herpes seems to fit best.

I've not heard of MRSA, but will take sometime to research.

Like a lot of folks here this has me quite concerned and I suppose I've delayed getting it looked at fearing some of the social repercussions and fear of my work finding out through my insurance.

I just want to add my Thanks again to you and all the other good people here that take time to help people with information, it is truly appreciated I think more than you realize. Thank You!
your insurance company can not notify your company that you have anything going on medically.  HIPAA guidelines are there to protect you from things like that!  

MRSA is an antibiotic resistant type of staph infection. It can actually be transmitted through sex and is more and more common in the genital area.

go, be seen and get the peace of mind you need and the treatment to make it go away!
Thank You Grace
Grace, I've resolved myself to going to get looked at, I wanted to ask what is the best type of physician to go to for getting this looked at?

I don't really have a regular doctor, not sure if a minor emergency clinic is the best place to go from an expertise stand point. I live in Fort Worth, Texas so I don't know if the local health dept is the best place to go or if there are clinics that specialize in STD diagnosis. I am concerned about confidentiality but at this point I just really want to get looked at.

Just wanted to get your advice on how to choose a good place to go?

planned parenthood is fine for this if you don't have a regular doctor. Might not be a bad time though to pick a regular gp or internal medicine provider so that you have someone to go to for yearly physicals and when you are sick.