Herpes Community
Question about PCR DNA test and IGG tests

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I was diagnosed with HSV2 back in early March through sexualhealth.com. I did a follow-up through my doctor's office and they also diagnosed HSV2 (the test went through the hospital and not the office's lab). When my doctor saw the tests from the hospital she noticed the test was not Herpes Select as she recommends - my IGG was positive but it was a combined HSV1 and 2. The doctor then ordered a PCR DNA test and then a Herpes Select test. The PCR DNA test came back negative for both HSV1 and HSV2. The Herpes Select IGG test came back positive for HSV2 and negative for HSV1.  Last year when I took the test I was told I had HSV1 (borderline) and negative for HSV2 and now I have no detection for HSV1 on any of my tests. The doctor was confused and spoke with the pathologist because the results didn't make since that the PCR DNA showed negative for HSV 1 and 2. All of these tests were done between March and April this year. Does this make any sense to anyone? I have never had an outbreak ever and no symptoms of any kind. My partner and I had unprotected sex and he tested twice with negative results for both IGG and IGM. His previous partner was positive for HSV2 though he didn't know it at the time. My doctor thinks I am not a transmitter because the PCR DNA is negative. Does this make any sense at all or should I just accept the fact that I have HSV2?
the pcr blood test for herpes isn't of any use. your provider erred in ordering that on you. the only thing we do pcr on on adults is active lesions and csf.

can you get the numeric results of your hsv2 igg test - e.g. hsv2 igg 3.9 or whatever they are? I can better help you with what steps to take next to confirm your infection after I see those - thanks!

grace
Thanks, Grace for your response.

Results:
Tested 2/15/2011
HSV1 IgM IFA 1:20 - antibody detected
HSV2 IgM, IFA <1:20 - antibody not detected

Tested 3/4/2012 - sexualhealth.com
Told I was negative for HSV1 and positive for HSV2 but didn't get the actual results. If I recall correctly, I was told by phone the number was 3.5 or possibly higher for HSV2.  

Tested 3/10/12
I was told this wasn't type specific so the doctor reorder testing for Herpes Select later done on 3/22.
HSV1 IgG <0.91 - negative
HSV2 IgG 3.81 - positive

HSV1 IgM <1:10
HSV2 IgM <1:10

Tested 3/19/2012
Herpes Simplex Virus, Type 1,2 DNA, RT PCR
HSV1 DNA - Not detected
HSV2 DNA - Not detected
Why is it that I have read this type of test is considered "Gold Standard" or highly sensitive and most accurate next to the Western Blot test. Should I get a WB test?

Tested 4/19 - results are positive for HSV2 and I'm waiting for the results to be mailed to me to see the number. I was told it was a somewhere around 3.8 - 4.0 but I haven't seen it yet. Will post later if necessary.

Thanks so much for your help, Grace!
pcr lesion cultures are highly accurate if done within 48 hours of the appearance of symptoms. pcr blood testing isn't helpful in adults since herpes isn't a blood borne infection.

wait for your current results and if they are under 5, get a herpes WB since you've had no symptoms to culture.
Thanks again, Grace.

I have never had a culture because I have never had any outbreaks. How long should I wait to take the WB? My last encounter was first week of March. Thanks!
Grace,

I got my last results.

HSV 1/2 (IgM) Antibody, IFA
HSV 1 IgM, IFA <1:20 Antibody Not Detected
HSV 2 IgM, IFA <1:20 Antibody Not Detected

HSV, Type Specific 1/2 IgG
HSV1 IgG, Type Specific 0.32 Negative, no detectable IgG Antibody
HSV2 IgG, Type Specific 4.68 H

Should I still get the Western Blot test and how long should I wait since my last sexual encounter? The last day was March 9th. Thanks again for your help.
I'd still get the herpes WB just because you've had no symptoms. you need to wait 4 months after you last had sex to get it done.
Hi Grace, do you mean no sex for four months or since the last partner? My ex and I got back together recently but no new partners. thanks.
since your partner is negative, get it done 4 months after you had sex before the first testing.
Thanks Grace.

I'll do the test in a couple of months and then I will get back to you with the results. I should be able to get this test through my provider, correct? She didn't know anything about the WB test and I'm wondering if may need to go elsewhere. Are there other ways to get it if she can't get it for me?

Thanks.
I too had similar case. I had unprotected oral sex on April first week...
Although no symptoms. even after 8 weeks....below are my result..
(May 10) HSV 2 IGG-1.2
(May 17) HSV 2 IGG-1.14

Doctor ordered PCR blood test ..and it came back negative..
Can anyone provide link for how to do WB test..lab number? As my doc is really not aware about it...!!
Just waiting for couple more month...to do WB test
please don't hijack another's post with your questions -thanks!

grace
Sorry..I didnt mean that.
I too  had similar qns..but no body replied to that post..!!
bump your old post back up when you don't get a response - thanks!
Hi Grace,

Thanks!
if you have a quest lab near you, it's test #34534. it's a send out from all quest labs to the U of washington if they are having problems finding the test under that number.

another option is to send for the WB kit yourself and have your provider either draw the blood and send it out for you or write an order for you to have it drawn at your local lab to be sent out.  

grace
Thank you again Grace! I will get this done in July and will post back with the results.

All the best.
Grace, I have been on suppressive therapy for about three wks. Do I need to be off of it before I have the WB test or should I continue taking it until test day? Thanks.
BUMP

Hi Grace,

I have been on suppressive therapy for about three wks. Do I need to be off of it before I have the WB test or should I continue taking it until test day?

Thanks.
I wouldn't be on any suppressives at this point.
Do I need to wait a few days after I stopped taking the suppressive therapy before I can take the WB test? Or does that not matter?
I would be off them completely. should you get a return of symptoms when off them, be seen promptly for a lesion culture and typing. easier and cheaper than getting a wb if you get a + lesion culture.
Hi Grace,

I got the results of my WB back in July and it confirmed I have HSV2. I still present no symptoms at all. My bf broke up with me and I am feeling hopeless. I know everyone says life goes on and you can find someone that will accept you but I am petrified of telling someone new. I don't know how I will live with this.
have you checked out Terri warren's book "the good news about the bad news" yet?
Your life is not over, I have it too and yes there is a stigma to this, that is not deniable, but there is also a BOATLOAD of people beside you that have it too.  YOU AREN'T the only one!  The numbers are high, but you wouldn't know it because no one talks about it.  There are dating websites for HSV with tons of really great people who are good, kind, normal.  You're life can be normal and ok, just do a little investigating.  I've met the man of my dreams on one of them.  Ironically he is going through the same thing you are where he had several positive IGG and IGM tests, and then a negative IGM and negative PCR. The only reason he retested was to see if he had gotten HSV1 too, then all the negatives.... sheesh.  God bless you, you will be fine, there's lots of us out here with you.