Herpes Expert Forum
Scab on penis

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Scab on penis

Hi doctors,

I have been experiencing a symptom that is usually associated with genital herpes. It all started with some episodes of dry / slightly peeling skin on my penis shaft. Roughly two days ago, a small lesion somehow developed around the same area (check link to the picture), and I'm wondering if this looks like herpes scab at all. Blisters or fluid-like lesions never really developed.

A little over a year ago, I started frequenting massage parlors for some massages with happy ending, but I never really had any intercourse. On some occasions, I would have oral sex (such as several days ago), but protected. I don't think there was ever any genital-to-genital contact with any of the workers, though once again, on some occasions, their vaginas might have touched the skin of my buttocks or back. Their thighs also touched my penis on some occasions as well.

Throughout the year, there had been intermittent burning sensation on my penis, but based on what I've read from a lot of replies, the reason for burning symptoms seems to be mostly psychological rather than physical, so I'm not too concerned about it.

However, in some of the replies, I think one of the doctors commented that genital lesions are mostly caused by herpes, and when I actually saw one (albeit it never really developed as a blister) on my penis, I got worried. So I'm wondering if you can probably shed some light on this. Thank you in advance.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/medhelp_images/user_photos/250908?1326257981
Whenever someone says they have a scab on the genital skin, I always worry that they could have genital herpes because it is correct that in the US, the main cause of genital sores (and thus scabs) is herpes.  However, other things could cause a scab - picking at a bump that could be something else, a bad fungal infection, scabies, a healing bacterial infection.  Nothing that you described in your sexual encounters makes me concerned about significant risk for an STI.  What about previous regular social sexual partners, people you've dated, that kind of thing?  Have you ever been tested for herpes antibody to determine that you've not been infected in the past?

Terri
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your response. I posted a picture at the bottom of the post, did it look like a scab (or a sore or a lesion) or something herpes-related? Could excessive masturbation have caused such a thing?

Aside from frequenting massage parlors (that included hand-release, and rarely, protected oral sex), I never really had any other sexual history, so it is indeed true that getting herpes seems a bit far-fetched.

As I mentioned, the scab seemed to have started from some rough patch in the skin (similar to peeling skin) rather than open blisters. It wasn't painful or anything, though within the last year, I have experience intermittent burning sensation on my penis (urethra probably).

So having vaginas touching my back or buttocks skin could be considered non-risk? What about having their thighs touching my penis? Would that be considered a risk for herpes?

Thank you so much for your advice.
Anyway, just to add, I never had any herpes blood test, I didn't know if I have the antibody in the first place.
I forgot to add, but the scab had fallen off yesterday, leaving slightly wrinkled skin on the location where it was, but otherwise, no mark or leftover was to be found (this got me worried the most). Anyway, I took picture yesterday, just before it fell off, and lest that it be missed the first time, here is the link