Herpes Expert Forum
Sex in Same Bed

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Sex in Same Bed

I recently found out that my roommate had sex 2 or 3 times with his girlfriend in my bed and did not wash the linens afterward.  I know for a fact that his girlfriend has hsv-2 genital.  Likely the same days my own girlfriend and I had sex in my same bed.  Were we at kind of risk for HSV-2 since they had intercourse in the same sheets we did and within the same time period?
No, I don't believe you are any kind of risk.  The virus will die very quickly when off the human body.  The virus needs to live at body temperature and sheets don't provide that.  Also, if there were secretions on your bed, they are more likely, in any volume, to be semen, not vaginal secretions.  Hopefully a condom was used.  So in summary, this has a fairly high yuck factor but not a risk.

Terri
I spoke with my roommate.  He says they use condoms but she can be 'wet' and leave a fair amount of vaginal secretions behind.  Do you think we should be tested just to be safe?
NO.  If you've never been tested before and you want to know if you have herpes in general, sure, but because of this?  No.

Terri