Herpes Expert Forum
Should I Worry?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Should I Worry?

I know you've heard this story often but I would like your opinion on my version.  I am a male and I saw a SW in early October and received unprotected oral.  My guilt reflex immediately kicked in and our time ended.  I have recently experienced severe anxiety do to the following:

I noticed a small rash on the underside of my penis shaft early last week, not sure of the exact day.  At first I paid no attention b/c of the recent cool, dry weather, I had several other rash, bumps on other parts of my body.  Now, approximately 7 days later, it is gone and I can barely see any sign it was there.  From what I could tell, there were no "papule" type sores, scabs, etc. of what is considered a "typical" herp sore. It just dried up and went away.

My real anxiety came into play when I remembered having a 24 hr fever and diarrhea a week or so after the contact. I just assumed in was a stomach bug..and my fever got up to around 101.8.   I don't recall any type of physcial signs on my penis at any point prior to now.    I have never had any STD testing performed.

Should I be concerned?  Should I go get tested? Please let me know your thoughts and opinion.  Thank you very much in advance...

Best Regards
I don't perceive either your exposure or your symptoms to be at high risk of genital herpes.  Nor do I consider your diarrhea and slight fever indicative of first episode infection.  When you say "rash", can you describe it for me?

Have you ever been tested in the past for herpes?  How many lifetime sexual partners have you had?  Have you ever in your life had a cold sore?

Terri
Well, the rash was irritated from my initial scratching so I could not really tell you how it looked at first.  I'm making an estimate here but it was approx 1/8 in. high, and 1/2 in. long...It seemed to have small bumps but I couldn't tell it was 2-3 large ones for more small ones.  I put cortisone on it for a day or two and it seemed to start going away.

I have never had a cold sore that I know of...I have been with approximately 12 people, most of whom were over 10-12 years ago.

As for my history with SW,  I have had around 6 occasions where I visited a SW.  One or two time involved protected intercourse and most included me receiving uprotected oral.  All except for the most recent were well over 3 - 4 years ago.  I thought I had gotten away from that lifestyle but a moment of weakness in October changed that.  

What is it you said in another post...we often learn our biggest lessons from the mistakes we made.  Hopefully this time I have learned my lesson for good.

Thank you again for your input and I look forward to anything else you may have to say.
The fact that cortisone helped it to go away speaks against it being herpes, which is good.  So the one question I don't believe you answered is have you ever been tested for herpes before?

Terri
Sorry, no I have not.
OK, then we really don't have anything to compare new results to if you do decide to get tested at some point, but that's OK.

Terri