Herpes Expert Forum
So Scared That I Have Herpes

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

So Scared That I Have Herpes

I've been in a commited relationship for 25 years.  A month ago I did something very stupid and had unprotected sex with a friend.  He is much larger than my partner and I was very sore for 2 days after.  After I insisted that we be tested for stds.   He came back postive for both HPV 1 and 2.  He knew he had 1, but was devastated to learn he had 2.  He has had no symptoms.   I  tested not positive, but I understand it may be too early to tell.

On day 5, I had sex with my regular partner and on day day 7, I had pain and redness in the vaginal area.  Any moisture caused a burning sensation.  I saw my gyn, but was too embarassed to tell her that I had cheated in my relationship.  On day 10, I had a white cottage cheese looking discharge.  I was given a 3 day treatment for a yeast infection.  On day 2, I started my period and the office advised me to stop treatment until after my period.  After my period, instead of continuing what my physician prescribed, I tried the monistat 1 day treatment and that was a big mistake.  It set me on fire and only made the pain worse.

I 'm now at day 24 and the pain and redness varies. My gyn says that the redness is so minor, that if I had been there for a routine visit, he wouldn't have even noticed.  He has now given me gabapentin 300mg for the pain I'm feeling.   He said its possible that even though my infection is gone, the nerves are still irritated.  I been given 3 ointments to try over the course 3 visits.  I had pain extending into my thighs.  The Gabapentin  has definitely helped but there is still slight redness and minor pain.  I'm so scared and paranoid.  I fear my anxiety is making this condition worse. I've asked the np and physician if this could be herpes and they say no.  However, they don't know that I was exposed.   Is it possible that promdome stage lasts this long?  What is my risk for heroes?
Your symptoms honestly don't sound like herpes to me.  You've had experienced clinicians look at you and say it isn't herpes, which is really valuable.  

Gabapentin is a big time medicine and sometimes there can be problematic side effects.  I'm glad you are feeling better, but not sure how long you are going to take it.  

Let's talk about the results of your friend that is positive for HSV 1 and 2.  Is it possible for you to ask him the numbers that go along with those test results?  If he doesn't have them, could he get them?  Sometimes people with HSV 1 have a false positive HSV 2.  If he was one of them, we could certainly put your mind at rest, yes?

Terri
Terri,
I forgot to mention that I my negative test was at 3 weeks from lab corp.
Terri,
The results were HSV 1:  2.33 and HSV 2:  3.03.  The Gabapentin is 300 mg 3 times a day for 30 days. Still no break outs and the redness is significantly less.  My concern is would prodome last this long?
OK, both of his values are in the low positive range, but the HSV 2 is getting pretty high.  

If he were our patient, we would order confirmatory testing for him.

I don't think prodrome would last anywhere near this long.

Terri
Ok thank you. I am signicantly better. I'll hope for the best and will be retested at 16 weeks, unless I should do something different.
That's a good plan.

Terri
The gabapentim has helped significantly, but I still have aching periodically extending into my thigh which causes me concern.  

Final question how often does someone have redness around the lips of the vagina and no initial outbreak?  I know that the percentage is small to contract from a one time exposure with someone with no symptoms, but I am beyond scared.