Herpes Expert Forum
So confused and scared

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

So confused and scared

Hi I hope you have some insight for me.  Had unprotected oral sex i was the receiver. about 3 years ago( a little  more) i didn't not know this person well only a few weeks . After meeting my current boyfriend I wanted to protect him so I went for a full std screening (5 months after that exposure) my gyno told me all was well. I went on with my happy life. Well as anxiety tends to fuel people I went again recently for a full screening and this time was told about hsv 1 positive. now the panic sets in. After further info from the gyno she tells me when I went for the first set of tests it was the same. Now comes the question. I know the test I just had said IGG 2.8 for have 1.  If I find out the IGG number from the first set of tests can I find out when I acquired this? Please help  I can't get over this episode
There is no way to know for sure if your infection is oral or genital.  
Have you ever in your life had a cold sore on your lip, even as a child?
Have you ever had sores in the genital area?  Were you the receiver of oral sex from sex partners?  
When you had the slit, was any testing done?
If you do happen to have HSV 1 genitally, you can certainly give birth safely.  If you don't determine by the time of giving birth if you have genital or oral herpes, you could possibly request daily suppression during the last weeks of pregnancy.  There are lots of options there.
If you do have HSV 1 genitally, you may rarely or never have outbreaks that you notice.  But the same is true with oral infection as well.  
Remember that 57% of the US population between 14 and 49, so you have lots of company.  
HSV 1 recurs genitally about once every other year.

Terri
iGG 2.8 HSV
For HSV 1
I guess my other question is how do I know if I have it orally or genitally? I run to the doctor with every itch I get. I recently had a very small slit I showed my doc which she said was from a yeast and bacterial infection I was treated for both.
I am very worried about when I decide to have a baby. and infecting my current boyfriend when I don't know where it's from how so I protect them? I am going to see an infectious disease doctor and advice on what I should be asking?
I may as well ask another question as I realize you are busy and it's hard to respond.  Would I have had a genital O.B in the last 3 years? Would I have noticed it could i have missed it? How often would they occur?
By the 2.8 IGG HSV 1 value can you tell if the infection is old or new?
I didn't want to bother you. I asked in the community forum but they told me to continue follow up with you.  I know my HSV 1 IGG in 2010 was 2.61.  When I was retested last month it was 2.8. Does the change in value mean anything? Do those numbers reflect old infection or new? Does the IGG value have any determination on OB?
The change in value means nothing, that is completely within the normal range of variation.  You can't tell my these numbers if your infection is new or old.  The numbers also have no meaning in terms of outbreaks, no.  

Your test result number is in what we call the low positive range.  If you want to be absolutely certain you are infected you could have a western blot antibody test.

Terri