Herpes Community
Spreading HSV1?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Spreading HSV1?

1. about 3 months ago i tested positive for HSV1 genitally after having what i consider a pretty severe first outbreak. I've done a lot of reading and research but keep getting conflicting answers on this question. If i have it genitally can i infect someone elses genitals IF they already have HSV1 orally? I've read that once it infects an area that it cannot infect another area in the same body (but that doesn't apply for contracting HSV2)

2. I am female, what is the likelyhood/ statistics of me passing on HSV1 genitally to a partner (male) if we use condoms? or even without?
I assume you had a lesion culture that was hsv1+?

when someone has hsv1 orally, they have significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally later on. it's not 100% but it's up there. always err on the side of caution and avoid sex whenever you have anything going on genitally.

we don't have stats for transmission of hsv1 genitally. it can happen but the odds of such are so low that we can't study it easily to get the stats we have for hsv2.

grace
Yeah I had a lesion culture that tested hsv1+, I've been taking valtrex daily as a suppressant because I have a bit of a crappy immune system the doctor and I agreed it would be better to try suppress any further outbreaks because my initial one was so painful. I haven't had an outbreak like that since but I think maybe the virus is shedding often as I seem to get a lot of random itching but no actual sores.
most people don't get recurrences enough to make it worth taking daily suppressive therapy for hsv1 genitally. the average is 1 additional ob the first year and then 1 ob every other year. about half of people never even have another recognizable recurrence.  only a small percentage of folks get recurrences regularly with hsv1 genitally.   the initial ob of hsv1 is typically incredibly painful - you didn't have a prior hsv1 oral infection to take the edge off like most people who contract hsv2 genitally do so you do indeed get the very 'classic' initial ob.  recurrences will be much milder and usually only 1 lesion.

hsv1 genitally doesn't shed much at all either. if you continue to have itching, return to be seen and get properly tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally.

grace